Dragon Blood: Triple Berry Skeeter Pee

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It probably depends on the yeast that you use. I used Montrachet on one and Cotes de Blanc on the other and the Montrachet foamed way more than the other. I had foam coming out of the primary. You are in good shape.

great .. i think

The SG is down to 1.014 this afternoon ... Still fizzing away .. I did end up adding a packet of yeast just to make sure ... It never made the foam that it looks like is typical ... assuming that's fine

It does seem to have "lost" much of the berry flavor that was present in the beginning ... is that a factor with the conversion to alcohol? Will it come back with some back sweetening. Is there a way to add a bit back at the end?
I'ts good as is .. but was really looking for the berry to go with the lemon!

thanks for the help again!!

I know I'm a couple of days slow, but how's it going now, Sue? :h

The yeast should take off again, if it started bubbling already. Just wondering how it's doing after a few days. Do you think it needs "help"?

Sue,

That berry flavor will come roaring back once the wine gets a little more time and you back sweeten.

Agreed, if you used Daves recipe, after you back sweeten, you will be in Dragon blood heaven!!

Has anyone had a batch NOT start fermenting after 3-4 days, I have a basic Vintners cherry wine from concentrate in the primary- 5 gals, used Lalvin 71B-1122 yeast packet, although the recipe called for me to wait upto 24hours before adding the yeast i did so early when the must was at prime temp of 70 degrees and i have no action at all. i have a packet of Premier Cuvee' laying here, should i add more yeast or nutrient to kick start it? can i mix yeasts? thanx, cheeshead

I've only done two batches so far but have not had any issues with fermentation starting. What is the temp of the must now? If it is chilly it will take longer. Have you taken any hydrometer readings yet?

Has anyone had a batch NOT start fermenting after 3-4 days, I have a basic Vintners cherry wine from concentrate in the primary- 5 gals, used Lalvin 71B-1122 yeast packet, although the recipe called for me to wait upto 24hours before adding the yeast i did so early when the must was at prime temp of 70 degrees and i have no action at all. i have a packet of Premier Cuvee' laying here, should i add more yeast or nutrient to kick start it? can i mix yeasts? thanx, cheeshead

I would try to get the temp up into the mid to upper 70's first. i had one that would not start until I got the temp up.

I agree 100%, raise the temps to 70-75° and more important, take a hydrometer reading, I assume that you took an initial SG reading, take another to see if it is fermenting at all.

thanx guys , i was kinda surprised that the recipe called for waiting to add until 70 degrees normally i am in th 72-75 range , the initial S.G. was 1.082 i do see some very minor activity now but will try to raise the temp a bit, the SG hasnt dropped much if at all 1.082 to 1.081 dont have a heating band so im using a electeic heating pad for now and will report results soon

Cheesehead, I've fermented at 85° with no problems, the main issue is that at those temps, you can easily lose a lot of the fruity esters.

Like the others said, Sue. Go with the recipe, and you'll end up with a good wine at the end. It should be dry pretty soon!

all is well, the temp raising obviously did the trick, already racked to carboy and away we go. another question , i have seen where people have saved the sediment or portions of the must from the fermenter, how much to save , and how to store it , also what benefits does this present when adding to a new batch?

was 0'996 a couple days ago so next steps done and now we wait .

random question ... why do you rack then add chemicals and degas...the 6 gallons fills the carbon so no room to stir . is it possible to do the degas in primary the rack instead of trying to use 2 carboys?

random question ... why do you rack then add chemicals and degas...the 6 gallons fills the carbon so no room to stir . is it possible to do the degas in primary the rack instead of trying to use 2 carboys?

I could be wrong, but I always rack before disturbing the wine because every day the wine is settling out debris and lees. By disturbing it before racking, I am just picking back up all the stuff I have patiently been watching drop to the bottom. There is probably a more scientific answer, but that is my humble common sense answer for the day.

Agreed 100%! If you degass before racking off the lees/sediment, you will stir it all back up and have to wait even longer for it to settle again.

that was the reason I was thinking with the kits I've done . but with skeeter you are stirring every day anyway .

Thanks for the great questions, Sue! I always let mine sit a few days in primary after it is dry, just to let the stuff settle in the bottom. First racking is always to leave the gross sediments behind. I shall add this point to the recipe.

On a side note, when I first started making wine, I got my hands on two 6.5 gallon carboys. I was a noob, and had no idea that the extra space would make them useless for most batches fermented in a 23 liter bucket. However, these extra large carboys have been invaluable for additions to recently racked six gallon batches and for degassing said wines. They are my utility 'boys. I use them all the time.

I think I'm going to give this a try, I may have missed it, but what SG do you back sweeten to?

Thanks, Tony

Looking to start a batch of the DB but as a newbie I am kind of lost at ordering some of the chems.

You mention:
1 tsp. tannin (stir)
3 tsp. yeast nutrient (stir)
1 tsp. yeast energizer (stir)
3 tsp. pectic enzyme (stir)

When I search FVW to order them, there are so many different kinds. Can you help out on which to order? Thanks!

John

Latest posts

Back