Dragon Blood: Triple Berry Skeeter Pee

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well I took the leap and have a batch of Dragon's blood going now. Already its looking tasty and i haven't even added the yeast lol.

danger Dave,
I started a 6 gallon batch two days ago. Mixed Pasteur red yeast per instructions..no fermentation after 12 hours.
I pitched another packet of Pasteur red and about 3 hours later, i had fermentation going.
JS wordy posted an article today about a wine brochure.
In it was a supplement called super food. To enhance yeast production.
I ordered some.
Do you think this will help in the fermentation process with db.
Yeast and all that Lemon do not mix well.

Super Food is a yeast nutrient. If you did not add any according to the recipe, that may have been the reason for the delay. It really helps the yeast get going. You can still add it if you think it needs it. If it's already going good, I'd just let it go.

To this day, I have made dozens of batches according to the recipe, and have yet to not see fermentation within several hours of pitching the yeast (mostly Lavin EC-1118).

Keeping the must warm also helps a lot. Mid 70s.

yes.
no mine is going good, almost at 1.000 sg, it really does smell good.
soon as it is out of primary, I am going to make a peach strawberry mix, and do the exact same thing.. see how it comes out.

You just wanna drink that must, don't ya! :dg

Yeah Im thinking of a dragons blood daiquiri right now lol.
I tested the SG just before adding the berries and it was dead on at 1.075. Ill test it again today before I add the yeast and see how it is. Im all exited about this one.

Yeah Im thinking of a dragons blood daiquiri right now lol.
I tested the SG just before adding the berries and it was dead on at 1.075. Ill test it again today before I add the yeast and see how it is. Im all exited about this one.

Perfect! You should be excited. Once you get this one down, you will have a good, easy drinking wine which everyone will love, that you can make relatively cheaply, and in rapid succession.

Your life will never be the same! :)

I tried a sample that is still fermenting...not so good....lol
but has potential dave, lots of potential.

I have to admit, I am hard working person, but after 5pm..I am a lush.
If i can get the alcohol content up, maybe ill just use a 5 gallon water cooler as a secondary, just pour when needed...
lol

The DB starts out drinkable, goes through a yucky phase during fermentation, then---if you follow the recipe---goes back to awesome! You will be delighted, I'm sure.

We're after-dinner-winos at our house. Once 7pm hits, we're drinking wine---every day.
I used to drink beer before I started making wine. Now, I have friends who ask me why I don't drink beer any more. My response is, "I have a cellar full of wine." :dg

Yeah I still love my beer and brew it often (Got 5 gallons of coffee stout going now) but this wine brewing this could be dangerous if the DB comes out good.

LOL, that is funny. I use to be a die hard CC drinker..but I maybe leaning on the other side of the fence...
Its pleasureable to make your own, drink some, give away some, and store some..
Whats funny is for years, I thought that all the folks talking about there wine new what they were talking about.
Now...I think if you do not make wine, you do not wine.
Correct me if I am wrong.
I bet 99 percent do not know you can make white wine from black grapes.
lol

Dave,
When you add the oak chips after adding the clearing agent I assume you just rack off those again before sweetening and bottling?

So the SG of the must is 1.060 and i could not resist a small taste. Just that little taste made me willing to scrap the wine and just drink the must. very tasty so far.

its good for sure. I have two 3 gallon batches clearing now, a five, and a six. i have been collecting .750 bottles for awhile, when my sister tasted the dragon blood, she said she wanted big bottles, instead of small ones.
I have a huge 4th of July party every year...this year I am going to keg 5 gallons for the party./

its good for sure. I have two 3 gallon batches clearing now, a five, and a six. i have been collecting .750 bottles for awhile, when my sister tasted the dragon blood, she said she wanted big bottles, instead of small ones.
I have a huge 4th of July party every year...this year I am going to keg 5 gallons for the party./

That's gonna be a wild party

You DB newbies will all be surprised how awesome tasting this is, especially if you let it sit bottled for 2-3 months. It improves greatly. Just follow the instructions to the T for your first batches, then experiment away. I have made most of Dave's variations and all of them are good.

I assume we are all invited? yes?

wine kegger = awesome idea

be safe!

Dave,
When you add the oak chips after adding the clearing agent I assume you just rack off those again before sweetening and bottling?

I'm still new to the oak after clearing thing. I've used oak in the primary, and my three experimental batches (for oaking purposes) are coming out of primary tomorrow. My plan is to allow them to clear at least a week before adding any oak. I wan the flavors to layer, so I'll reach my desired oakage (is that even a word?), then add sugar to taste.

So, yes, I plan to do it as you've assumed. Personally, I don't want the oak in there with a lot of cleaing agent because I don't want the agent to interfere with the oak flavor/tannin transfer. Following my first racking after clearing, I will add the oak. Let the wine sit on the oak until delightful, then rack off the leftovers. Sweeten as needed.

That's the plan, anyway. Let's hope it works out...:se

I hate waiting to find out results :)let me know how she comes out!!!!!

I'm getting ready to rack and sweeten my DB, I was wondering what anyone has used to top-up with? I know I'm going to be short and I would like to get some suggestions on what has worked well with other. Thanks for any help.

Latest posts

Back