Dragon Blood in 15 days!!!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
dangerdave said:
I concur! Let 'er rip! :se

I believe I added too much water at the end. I tried to top it off to six gallons, but it was already there. A lesson learned for the next batch. And there will be more batches!! :D

You'll be racking off that extra later. I usually have just a bit over six gallons just for that purpose. The bag of fruit usually pushes it up over the gallon mark, but that gets taken out later, too. I've had some that almost overflowed with foam!

It is a wise man that anticipates the making of more wine! ;)

Yes and I'm not wise in the ways of making wine. Not yet. :D

I can't wait to make a batch using the slurry from my muscadine wine this winter! I'm anxious to see how that turns out! Also, like you, I plan on experimenting with different flavors.

aight dave! since you are the flavored skeeter pee master I need some advice from you :)

i want to do a cherry lime wine, im only doing one gallon because i cant get lime juice in containers larger than 8oz and dont want to buy 8 of them. lol
so my question is, how much cherry juice do you think i should put in? and do you think i should put it in before fermentation or after when back sweetening?

the cherry juice i have is montmorency cherry juice, indian summer brand. ingredients in order are: 1. montmorency red tart cherry juice, 2. montmorency tart cherry juice from concentrate.
the bottle is 46oz. think that is to much cherry for 1 gallon?

EDIT: i also did start a batch of your dragon blood but i couldnt find the berry blend, so i got a bag that had strawberries, blueberries, and raspberries. so it will be a lil different but hopefully similar results!

Mine was done fermenting last night after only six days. It ended at 0.996. Now for the clearing. I may be close to the 15 days on this batch.

aight dave! since you are the flavored skeeter pee master I need some advice from you :)
Hardly, keena! But thanks. :i

i want to do a cherry lime wine, im only doing one gallon because i cant get lime juice in containers larger than 8oz and dont want to buy 8 of them. lol
so my question is, how much cherry juice do you think i should put in? and do you think i should put it in before fermentation or after when back sweetening?

Honestly, I have no idea! My first several tries with skeeter pee, using juice to backsweeten, didn't turn out so good. There may have been other factors (like me being new to winemaking), but none-the-less my journey has brought me to my current level of success with using real fruit in the primary, and sugar to backsweeten---and I'm sticking to it! ;)

the cherry juice i have is montmorency cherry juice, indian summer brand. ingredients in order are: 1. montmorency red tart cherry juice, 2. montmorency tart cherry juice from concentrate.
the bottle is 46oz. think that is to much cherry for 1 gallon?

I hope someone who uses this method will pipe in and help you out. I know a lot of folks make it that way.

EDIT: i also did start a batch of your dragon blood but i couldnt find the berry blend, so i got a bag that had strawberries, blueberries, and raspberries. so it will be a lil different but hopefully similar results!

I think this will be great! :dg

Aight, thanks Dave! Maybe I'll have to try a few dif batches with dif amounts of cherry if all else fails. Having 6 primary buckets going at once never hurts, right :)

My first attempt. I think it is looking pretty good. I think it is clear enough that I will bottle it tomorrow. I started it on 10 July. Hope it tastes as good as it smells.

image-2652492679.jpg

That looks mighty tasty!!! I'll rack mine Friday and add the sparkolloid, kmeta, and sorbate.

I back sweetened it 2 days ago. I thought I was suppose to wait a couple of days after that to make sure it didn't start to ferment again. I think I read that somewhere. to be honest I have read so much information I am getting overwhelmed with it. I will bottle this tomorrow. Part will be in a Wine on Tap bag because we are having a party in a couple of weeks and the rest in bottles. I have been really good of not sneaking any because I want to be surprised, but I will test it before the party. Thanks for the recipe.

Hey Dave, I am going to try a batch of your recipe as soon as I get a couple of empty carboys. I am trying the first real glass of my variation of your recipe and it's not bad. I back sweetened with only 1-1/2 cups of sugar and most of the young taste has receded. I think another cup of sugar would make it better though. Skeeter Pee and the variations really rocks. :dg

I back sweetened it 2 days ago. I thought I was suppose to wait a couple of days after that to make sure it didn't start to ferment again. I think I read that somewhere. to be honest I have read so much information I am getting overwhelmed with it. I will bottle this tomorrow. Part will be in a Wine on Tap bag because we are having a party in a couple of weeks and the rest in bottles. I have been really good of not sneaking any because I want to be surprised, but I will test it before the party. Thanks for the recipe.

Yes. I always let mine sit for a while---at least a couple of days---just to be safe.

You are very welcome. And happy bottling! I've got some to do myself...pictures to follow...:p

Hey Dave, I am going to try a batch of your recipe as soon as I get a couple of empty carboys. I am trying the first real glass of my variation of your recipe and it's not bad. I back sweetened with only 1-1/2 cups of sugar and most of the young taste has receded. I think another cup of sugar would make it better though. Skeeter Pee and the variations really rocks. :dg

Awesome, John! Glad it came out nice. In a month it will be better. In six months (if any lasts that long) it will be remarkable!

OMG it's bottling day and I am so nervous. It will be the first time. I really don't want to screw this up.

Good luck Shelley!

Fill an empty carboy or bucket with a gallon or so of water. Then fill a few bottles with that, just to practice the process. My first bottling was just a couple months ago and i was nervous too. The practice made all the difference - and if I screwed it up, at least it was with just water. :D

Good luck Shelley!

Fill an empty carboy or bucket with a gallon or so of water. Then fill a few bottles with that, just to practice the process. My first bottling was just a couple months ago and i was nervous too. The practice made all the difference - and if I screwed it up, at least it was with just water. :D
Yeah this helps.

My first batch I had an awful time. Couldn't keep a syphon at all when racking or bottling, so I had to keep pumping. Second batch I never lost a syphon at all and bottling was easy as pie.

I'd like to get the floor corker one day though. The double lever is a pain. :(

Last edited:
I did it! . Now all I need is to let them sit and put the labels on and put the foil on top. I also filled a wine on tap bag that's sitting in the fridge now. Did sneak a taste and it's really good. However I didn't think 915 in the morning was an appropriate time to start drinking. Come on Noon!

image-1202330872.jpg

Latest posts

Back