Dragon Blood adding Welch's

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jvr06

Reaction score
I have a 6 gallon batch of DB going and it quit clear but I'm going to rack over and I know I'll lose a little. I was thinking of backfilling with some welch's concord concentrate. Has anyone done this with good results? Also, my batch looks thin so I wonder if this would help it out. Any suggestions much appreciated. Thanks.

did you make it exactly like the recipe. if so its just the db color.
post a pic of how clear it is...

if it taste good, i would bottle it.....it looks good.
if it lacks in taste, i would make a fresh fpack out of strawberrys/blackberrys and add.
if it needs flavor and sweetness i would make a strawberry/blackberry simple syrup. and add.

So you wouldn't add the welch's grape concentrate? I'm going to sample to see what it lacks and post back.

It tastes pretty good, it's 5 months into it. I think it lacks some flavor but the wife seems to like it the way it is. I'm just wondering if I add one small container of welch's to backfill after I rack if it will mess it up any?

how do you make the strawberry/blackberry simple syrup you mentioned?

I'd use Welches white (personal preference), just make sure you've stabilized first, if you haven't already..

i quess i am weird..but I dont like to add a non fruit..meaning
if i make a strawberry, i will not add pineapple.
if i make a blackberry i will not add a grape.etc.
your flavor pack should be one of the fruits are all of the fruits your wine was started with, just saying not advising.
2 lbs of strawberrys cleaned and chopped
2 lbs of blackberrys rinsed.
4 lbs of sugar
2 cup of water.
cook on low for about an hour and skim off any white layer that comes up.
strain off the liquid and let it cool
add it like 1 cup at a time untill you get the flavor you want.
let it clear again, it wont be very cloudy...

Why don't you just take a gallon of it and try the concord addition to it. That is what most of us do, experiment on a gallon or so instead of doing all 6 gallons.

I have stabalized already. Still debating, if I'm at the store today I'll probably just by the fruit and make the fpac since I've never done that yet. Try something new.

I have stabalized already. Still debating, if I'm at the store today I'll probably just by the fruit and make the fpac since I've never done that yet. Try something new.
Great you didn't do it yet.

Don't use the Welch's grape juice,
I think it has a very bitter after taste .
Use one of the other blends.I like the white grape juice blends. Try white grape raspberry.

Last edited:
how long does it take to clear again after adding the f-pak so I can bottle? Thanks.

Latest posts

Back