doubling a recipie

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wine Snob

Junior
Reaction score
I am a bit confused with what to do when you double or more to a recipe. Take this one from Lorena for instance...

------------------------------------------------------------
Welch's Frozen Grape Juice Wine
2 cans (11.5 oz) Welch's 100% frozen grape concentrate
1-1/4 lbs granulated sugar
2 tsp acid blend
1 tsp pectic enzyme
1 tsp yeast nutrient
water to make 1 gallon
wine yeast
Bring 1 quart water to boil and dissolve the sugar in the water. Remove from heat and add frozen concentrate. Add additional water to make one gallon and pour into secondary. Add remaining ingredients except yeast. Cover with napkin fastened with rubber band and set aside 12 hours. Add activated wine yeast and recover with napkin. When active fermentation slows down (about 5 days), fit airlock. When clear, rack, top up and refit airlock. After additional 30 days, stabilize, sweeten if desired and rack into bottles.

You could use 100% niagara white grape juice, too. Or cran-raspberry or whatever. Just make sure there is no sorbate in it, and that it's 100% juice. I actually test my s.g. and add more (or less) sugar if needed to get me an o.g. of about 1.095. I think the grape juice may vary a bit in sugar.

Lorena

--------------------------------------------------------

If I was to make this 2 gallons, do I want to double the acid blend.... the nutient.... this does not have tannins in it, but would I double tannins as well?

I would say to double everything except the yeast. One package of yeast is good for up to 5 or 6 US gallons (23litres).

Steve

Back