Dog Food Primary Fermenter

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mjrisenhoover

Rookie
Reaction score
I've been looking for a primary fermenter that would hold around 10 gallons or more and I found this at my local pet store. It was sold to hold dog or cat or other animal food but it's the same as ones I have seen online for fermenting wine that go for around $70. It holds 14 gals. but it doesn't have a spigot or a hole for an airlock but I don't need those anyway. I think I can just leave the top loose and it will work. It cost me $39 + tax. Oh yeah, food grade BPA free.

My wife says she is gonna tell everyone I am making dog food wine.

2013-08-12142627.jpg

Go buy a brute garbage can for 20 bucks or so. If I remember right they are 25 or 30 gal. Make sure you get the food grade one and you are good to go. Wash it, sanatize it, and use it. No worries about having plenty of room. Room for liquids, room for fruits, room for a violent ferment. And best of all your wife can call it trash wine. Arne.

This look like a Tuff Tank fermentor sold at ECKraus Co. I have a 9 gallon that I use all the time (I like the dimensions). My only concerns would be any off taste from the dog food.

If I read this correctly, the container is for storing pet food but has not been used for pet food when purchased so there should not be any off taste.

Looks like it would be OK as long as its food grade like you said. 10G Brute (food grade plastic) from the big orange box store is only $18 though. 20G is only about $24.

This look like a Tuff Tank fermentor sold at ECKraus Co. I have a 9 gallon that I use all the time (I like the dimensions). My only concerns would be any off taste from the dog food.

Yes, the ECKraus are the same ones I had been looking at, and these are new, no dog food added!

amazon has them for the same price shipped, incase anyone doesn't have them locally (i don't, so just a heads up :D )

I just posted a thread asking about 'Tuff-Tanks' (guess I should have read a bit first)

Do the tanks from EC Kraus work well??

Back