Does the glass make a difference

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is a great thread. Is there anywhere that shows the proper glasses matched to their respective wines?? :re

I thought this was interesting too. I did read something online awhile back on that. I'm sure if we googled or, we could get a link to post here.

If you want some videos which demonstrate the difference between the glassware used try youtubing some of the riedal tasting videos. They are meant to sell a product, but their is truth in what they do.

Seth,

A good thought, I had a look and thought this guy was doing what I wanted to get across in the beginning. The interesting part for me is that he had the same excitement that I had when I tried.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=886KA1jLal4[/ame]

James,
I thought I had been low when I was drinking from my wine making jug. You win. LOL

I definitely have to say that the glass matters and I have my preference on the type of glass I like....

Must be smooth and clear: This is so that I can enjoy the simple sight of the wine, check for legs, check color, and marvel in the clarity of the wine. Although it looks pretty, cut-glass or frosted glass obscures all of this enjoyment.

Must be "over-sized" (say a 12 oz capacity) and of a certain shape: I have to admit, I am a swirler. I like to swirl my wine and then inhale to enjoy the aromas. For me, this is an important part of the experience. Swirling also allows me to airate the wine to suit my tastes and (at times) softens the wine a bit and really allows the flavor to come through.

I like an over-sized glass (filled only 1/3 full) so that there is plenty of space for the aromas to gather.

As far as size and shape, My preference is much like a brandy snifter, rather bulbous and large.

Must have a stem: A trend these days is for the "stemless" wine glasses. I actually had gotten some as a gift one Christmas. They are still in the box.

Without a stem, the wine glass will gather fingerprints. I hate this as I really love a sparkling clean wine glass. I am a bit nuts on this point. I hand wash all of my glasses. The reason is simple.. Have you ever had a glass of white wine that was so clear that you would swear it emitted light? Well, I have and marvel at the sight of it. Fingerprints inhibit this. Also, holding the wine glass by the bulb tends to warm the wine.

Ok, Much like Felix Unger I am a bit of a retentive freak when it comes to my wine glasses. I do, though, have a "one glass fits all" approach. I have not gotten into the very specific shapes of glasses for each particular varietal, but simply use the above described glass for all wines.

Wow, now you all have sparked my curiousity..............I think. I just grab a wine glass, not particular as I have many from the many wineries we have visited locally. I usually use the same little 8oz'er as I am a creature of habit and well, it is cool looking.
Never thought about how the glass, style, type, etc. affected the wine.
For the most part, I figure after the first couple of glasses I am getting "happy" so it really doesn't matter for glasses 3, 4 or 5.

Latest posts

Back