Does the acidity of the wine lower as it ages?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

foursons

Reaction score
I am a fan of acidity in wine, i think it is a great characteristic of wine. But I am a bigger fan of wines with balance. I find that some wines that are too acidic (basically sour). Does this decrease with bottle aging, is my question.

Side note, I do all my wines with kits and usually ferment for about 1-2 months as the instruction indicates.

thanks~!

the short answer is no. the best way to reduce acidity in wine is based on taste tests and a bench trial. make a sugar syrup, 2 cups sugar to one of water, mix in a blender. set up measured samples say 100ml. add a measured amount of sugar syrup to first sample for examples 1/4 tsp. add two x 1/4 tsp to next, then three x 1/4 tsp to next and so on. taste test will determine proper balance. Make a large sample of wine say about 500ml of desired blend with desired sugar syrup. let it sit for about a week and taste to confirm desired profile. if all okay add to required amount to bulk wine. donot forget to add sorbate to 500ml sample and bulk wine. also proper amount of SO2 to bulk wine. wait a week on bulk wine before bottling to insure fermentation does not restart.

Latest posts

Back