Does fermentation affect phytochemicals or antioxidants

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Delaney

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm researching the production of black raspberry wine (rubus occidentalis), and I am interested in how fermentation might affect the composition of compounds found in the raw fruit which pose health benefits.

More specifically, anthocyanins, phenolics and antioxidants, as well as vitamins and minerals. For marketing purposes I would like to know if the wine of this fruit would retain it's health benefits with respect to these compounds, and to what extent they may be affected.

anthocyanins in rubus occidentalis: cyanidin 3-glucoside, cyanidin 3-sambubioside, cyanidin 3–(2G−xylosylrutinoside) and cyanidin 3-rutinoside

Thanks Kindly,

Delaney Bray-Stone.

Last edited:
The compounds shouldnt go anywhere really.. But the interactions between compounds during fermentation & aging is still trying to be fully understood so i dont know if the particular information you're looking for has even been researched or documented yet - atleast publicly.

I would feel comfortable stating that the compounds could be found in the wine, but they may in time, interlock with other compounds & break apart, changing structure. If there's health benefits to the juice, i dont see why they wouldnt carry over to the wine - but they might change over time.

With grapes, the alcohol generated by fermentation actually helps to release more anthocyanins and phenolic compounds, vitamins and minerals.. It's the nature of alcohol, so i think it would be the same for any other fruit

The only way to be 100% sure, for marketing, would be to send off a portion of juice, a portion of just-fermented wine, and a portion of aged wine, for testing... Let the lab tell you how the levels have changed from juice through fermentation and on through aging

The compounds shouldnt go anywhere really.. But the interactions between compounds during fermentation & aging is still trying to be fully understood so i dont know if the particular information you're looking for has even been researched or documented yet - atleast publicly.

I would feel comfortable stating that the compounds could be found in the wine, but they may in time, interlock with other compounds & break apart, changing structure. If there's health benefits to the juice, i dont see why they wouldnt carry over to the wine - but they might change over time.

With grapes, the alcohol generated by fermentation actually helps to release more anthocyanins and phenolic compounds, vitamins and minerals.. It's the nature of alcohol, so i think it would be the same for any other fruit

The only way to be 100% sure, for marketing, would be to send off a portion of juice, a portion of just-fermented wine, and a portion of aged wine, for testing... Let the lab tell you how the levels have changed from juice through fermentation and on through aging
good advice, thanks a lot!

Cheers

~Delaney

Latest posts

Back