Do you think this will be OK?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rsa

Junior
Reaction score
I am working on my first attempt. I started with a 6 gal juice bucket of Vinemount Estates Cab Sav. The initial SG was only 1055. That concerned me although I guess it started fermenting on it's own. Yeast used was Lalvin ICV GRE. Primary kept at 74 degrees. After 4 days things really slowed down. I racked at 7 days. The SG at 9 days (today) is 995. Should I be concerned that it went to 995 in 9 days?

Also, at this point should I top it off high in the carboy to prevent oxidation or is there additional fermentation going on?

Thanks...great site for newbie info.

I am working on my first attempt. I started with a 6 gal juice bucket of Vinemount Estates Cab Sav. The initial SG was only 1055. That concerned me although I guess it started fermenting on it's own. Yeast used was Lalvin ICV GRE. Primary kept at 74 degrees. After 4 days things really slowed down. I racked at 7 days. The SG at 9 days (today) is 995. Should I be concerned that it went to 995 in 9 days?

Also, at this point should I top it off high in the carboy to prevent oxidation or is there additional fermentation going on?

Thanks...great site for newbie info.

At .995, it is likely finished. If it doesn't change for 3 days, then it's safe to assume it's done.

At .995, it is likely finished. If it doesn't change for 3 days, then it's safe to assume it's done.

Yup - verify for 3 days that it is done - then sulfite - and let age for about 3-4 months - and re-rack again with some more sulfites.

Im guessing that the juice was already fermenting when you bought it cause thats EXTREMELY low form a Cab and I mean extremely! If that were the true #'s then they picked months too early and the acid would be likely through the roof!

Your first rack was from primary to secondary.
You will not need to top it off with a like wine until you rack the wine off secondary (2nd racking). During secondary, there is enough CO2 to keep oxygen away, as long as you have installed an air lock during secondary.

If that were the true #'s then they picked months too early and the acid would be likely through the roof!

I just checked the ph with some test strips. It's about 5.0. Is that way off?

I'm pretty sure the numbers are correct. I just started a Sangiovese today and the SG was 1080. I also checked my hydrometer in distilled water and it was OK.

Last edited:
At .995, I'd top it up as soon as you verify fermentation is complete.

During secondary, there is enough CO2 to keep oxygen away, as long as you have installed an air lock during secondary.

That's what I thought, but I was starting to get paranoid :)

Thats also pretty low of a starting sg for this kind of wine but no where near as bad as the other. I truly hope thyat ph is way off cause yes thats not good at all, it should be around 3.5 ph. At 5.0 that wine will be very susceptible to bacteria and wont last in the cellar for long. Are you sure that is PH and not TA? That # in TA would be much much better!

Are you sure that is PH and not TA? That # in TA would be much much better!

It's what I estimated by using some Ph paper test strips.
Looking again, I would say it's closer to 4 or less. These strips are very difficult to use. Wish I had a meter.

4 or less is MUCH better. If making wine from grapes I highly recommend getting a ph meter, its much more accurate and you can also test TA with them with the addition of Sodium Hydroxide and test for a ph of 8.2.

Yes, I think I will invest in a meter. I was using "economy" Ph strips better suited for beer as they were a weird color to begin with. My mistake.

I think both my pails self started before I received them. Since the Cab Sav was my first pail, I wasn't paying much attention. The Sangiovese definitely had quite a bit of foam on top when I opened it.

Is it possible for the juice to self start and affect the SG to that extent?

Oh yes, I bought a bucket of Chenin Blanc 2 years ago later in the season and even though they kept the buckets at 40* the bucket was down to 1.030. I wasnt very happy with that and called them and they gave me some money back even though they had already discounted these buckets a bit. Cold ferments on whites are better but this bucket didnt come out very good despite that. The starting sg for those buckets should have been around 1.100 or close.

Back