WineXpert Do Island Mist kits need additional aging?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lhunkele

Reaction score
My first batch may soon be reading for bottling; I have an Island Mist kit (Blackberry Cabernet) and I was wondering if it was recommended to age any longer in the carboy than the kit recommends. I'm not in a hurry to bottle, excited at the prospect yes, but I can wait if it will benefit. Not sure if I should be concerned about additional sediment (I'd rather have it in the carboy than the bottle ;)

Thanks!

I bottled my blackberry cab with the directions and I do have a few bottles with sediment so I would wait a while longer.

Waiting is fine but I'm fairly certain the wine won't get better. Its made to be drunk:dg sooner rather than later. I filtered mine and it cleared quickly anyway.
Good luck - I hope you enjoy

You can drink 2 weeks after bottling. No aging on these types of wines.
You should not need to filter as there should be little sediment if directions are followed. Keep temps warm

ah, so the warmer temps will help what sediment is in the carboy fall out before bottling - Got it!

Ideal temp?

...problem solved, I think ;)

Although the temp upstairs is warmer, it is not very stable and can range from 65-75 in any given day so we rigged up a warm water bath for it!

My carboy is in a milk crate which we put into a plastic tub and surrounded the tub with insulation, then filled it with water and added an old aquarium heater. There's also a plywood top and it's covered it with a blanket; snug as a bug in a rug :)

Currently it's 72 degrees. Now that I can somewhat control the temp, what would the ideal setting be?

Thanks again!

photo.JPG

Sorry for the late reply on filtering. I used a gravity filter - Vinbrite. Its cheap and easy. It worked very well, but takes afew hours to filter the 6 gallons. Make sure the wine has cleared sufficiently otherwise the filter will clog and take 4+ hours to filter. I think the Vinbrite sells for about $35 or so at most stores. I only use it on my white wines.

Can you give me a recommended temp range? Currently it's in the basement around 65-67...

Thanks!

The folks at WE told me degassing would be a lot faster if you keep the kits between 75 and 80 throughout the entire process from beginning to end. I started keeping mine at 78 or so and I've had better fermentation and easier degassing.

...problem solved, I think ;)

Although the temp upstairs is warmer, it is not very stable and can range from 65-75 in any given day so we rigged up a warm water bath for it!

My carboy is in a milk crate which we put into a plastic tub and surrounded the tub with insulation, then filled it with water and added an old aquarium heater. There's also a plywood top and it's covered it with a blanket; snug as a bug in a rug :)

Currently it's 72 degrees. Now that I can somewhat control the temp, what would the ideal setting be?

Thanks again!

This is pretty much the same system I came up with to keep things warm and cozy in my 45-50 degree basement in the winter. I use a $5 plastic rope tub from Wally World, wrap it in 3 1/2" insulation with insulation over the top when needed. I use an adjustable submersible aquarium heater ($10) and an internal, submersible aquarium filter ($10) which keeps the water clear and helps circulate it - all available at Wally World.

A guy was at the u-brew store loading his latest wine in the car. He was asked how long he aged his wine before drinking it. He said " Oh about 15 miles"

cheers

Latest posts

Back