WineXpert Diluting a too-strong wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dusty1

Junior
Reaction score
Hi all,

I finally bottled my first wine a couple of weeks ago (the Estate Yamhill Pinot). Thinking that following the instructions and making a full 6 gallons would make for a thin pinot, I foolishly made it at only ~5.5 gallons.

The resulting wine has so much acid and general "flavor" that it is completely overpowering and has almost nothing resembling pinot character. It starts to wear on you after even a half glass or so.

However, when I added a bit of water to my glass I suddenly had a wine that was remarkably like oregon pinot, and was really quite enjoyable.

My plan is to determine the right ratio of water to wine and then pour out the appropriate amount from each bottle, replacing it with bottled water, and re-corking.

Does this strike anyone as a particularly bad idea?

Eeeeewwwwwah. Major newbie mistake - not following the directions on the kits. Do not pass Go, do not collect $200.
smiley36.gif
No worries, we've all stretched the directions in search of the best outcome possible, but any changes will void the warrantee.
I'm sure the experts on the forumwill add their opinions, but I have a couple of questions. Did you follow the other directions to a tee? If not, what changes were made? Also did you add the extra K-Meta prior to bottling?

I'd be worried about uncorking, dumping back into the primary, adding additional water (I'd guess the original ~1/2 gallon originally omitted), and then rebottling would risk exposing the wine to a lot of air, which could spoil it. The K-Meta will help, so if you did not add it, I'd suggest it.

Since that kit has been discontinued and it is hard to find, you may want to wait to see what the forum moderators suggest. If there is a way to save it, they'll know. The simplest advice may be to leave it alone and just add water to taste when you uncork the bottle.

Good luck!

GrapeApe.

Edited by: GrapeApe

Definitely flying my newbie flag on this one, lol.

I did follow the rest of the instructions exactly, and did add extra K-meta.

It does seem like dumping everything back into a carboy would oxidize the wine. I was actually thinking of leaving the wine in the bottle, but pouring out the right amount. (e.g. if it turns out the a 6:1 ratio fixes the issue I'd pour out ~100ml of wine from each bottle, and pouring in 100ml of water).

Thanks for the input!

-= Dusty

It is up to you at this point as to whether or not you dump them all in
a primary and dilute to taste but would recommend racking from bottles
as compared to dumping as this will help with not oxidizing them too
much. As for adding water I would do it to taste not to a certain #
given to you by anyone as everyone has different tastes. Being that
this is a 16 liter kit I would have added the water but probably would
do what you have done on a lesser kit such as a 10 liter or 7.5 liter
kit but you didnt hear that from me and it will void the warranty!!!!!!!!.

Edited by: wade

Its only been bottled a couple of weeks? So if you adjust it now, what will you have a year from now? Right, No Idea! I would leave it alone. I would rather adjust at drinking, or use to cook with, than adjust it at such an early stage when tasting isn't telling you much. I've made too many that at "birth" tasted like jet fuel , etc.. only to see the incredible improvement that only time can bring to go by what I taste now.Edited by: JWMINNESOTA

I agree with JW and leave it alone and after it has time to age adjust when serving as needed.

Get yourself a decanter and it can be done in that since no red wine made from kits in my opinion should be consumed without a proper decanting first. Edited by: masta

I'm with JW and masta on this one. The wine will mellow with age - especially a high end kit like this one. As masta pointed out, if you decant and taste and it is still overpowering you can add small amounts of water to the decanter until it tastes right.

I've got to agree with the masses here. Any premium kit will take a year to really express itself and smooth out, but is well worth the wait. Just by diluting it a bit to sample, you realized the Pinot character coming through. I'd leave it well enough alone. You have a great kit there, and they aren't getting any easier to get, so cherish it.

dusty said:
Definitely flying my newbie flag on this one, lol.

I did follow the rest of the instructions exactly, and did add extra K-meta.

It does seem like dumping everything back into a carboy would oxidize the wine. I was actually thinking of leaving the wine in the bottle, but pouring out the right amount. (e.g. if it turns out the a 6:1 ratio fixes the issue I'd pour out ~100ml of wine from each bottle, and pouring in 100ml of water).

Thanks for the input!

-= Dusty

Just a quik note ..You said you added extra K-Meta..This is prob where the overwhelming taste is coming from..It is meant to add longer shelf life ..If your drinking these now maybe they have not sat long enough or there is a possibility with tempature change that has given you the off taste?? I have not had this experience with not adding the appropriate amounts of liquid but I think that it sounds more like the extra K-Meta..
smiley5.gif

Definetely leave it be. What you just tasted will be a far memory when you let this one age and the smoothing/mellowing process will make this unbelievable in the future. If you can, wait 6 months and then try 1 bottle and I bet the flavor will be a lot more enjoyable and give you a better idea what its going to be like in 1 year.

I just open my blackberry mead which has been in the bottle for just over 6 months. When I first tasted it at the time of bottling it was very strong with the EtOH, harsh tasting, and not any blackberry aroma or taste. Last night the flavor was completely different. Smooth with just a slight EtOH feel, a very noticeable blackberry aroma, and pleasant blackberry taste. I was amazed at the changes over 6 months. Very pleasantly amazes in fact.

Moral - Time is your friend!!!!
smiley4.gif
Edited by: docbee

Thanks for the input all! I guess I'll let it sit. If it's still too concentrated in 6 months or so I'll add water to the bottles then. Somehow mixing water in while decanting takes some of the romance out of corking a bottle of wine.

If this thread is still around at that point I'll give you all an update to let you know if age will mellow the acids. I kind of have my doubts, but I defer to the experience here.

I'll probably dilute a handful of bottles now as well so I can compare.

Thanks!

-= Dusty

Back