Different Problem

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hannabarn

Reaction score
For me anyway! I made Apple-Raspberry wine and it was bottled in October 2009. A couple of days ago, I caught theodorof fresh apple raspberry. I thought "OH NO"not again! I discovered 2 bottles had popped the corks. I checked my records and I had added the proper amt of sorbate and had degassed completly. So I decided Iwould remove the corks and put the wine in glass carboy and try to find out what to do> I opened 2 bottles and there was no sign of refermentation or gas pressure in any of the bottles. Everything appears to be normal. Any thoughts on what would make 2 bottles pop the corks. They even have shrink wraps on them. The bottles were stored in my heated pole barn andstored in a commercial Pepsi Cooler so the temperature is really quite constant at about 69 degrees.

There could have been some residue in the bottle that was fermentable or pressure changes that didn't affect the other bottles. Or maybe cork contaminate? Could be many many things.

Did the sorbate get stirred in good at addition? If not maybe a few bottles had less concentration. That's about the only thing I can think of Barney.

Well I assume that it was stirred in completely since I waited a week or so before I bottled it. I guess I will just have to wait and see if it happens to any more. I have since moved it to the basement so I can watch it! If I get a strong odor of wine in the basement, I'll know what it is!!!!!!!! I guess that is one more reason this hobby is so interesting! Or frustrating!!!!!!!!!!!

I wondered that myself. Some say it doesn't get too old and some say it will. I guess it is a possibility. How old was the sorbate Barney? I know I used some last summer that was almost a year old and some bottles became a bit fizzy and some got particles in them. I will either make sure to use strictly fresh in the future or none at all after sterile filtering (which would be impracticle for small batches),

That's a possibility!! I don't recall when I got it but it could be a year ago. I'll have to check my invoices. But if that's the case, why only 2 bottles? Of course , maybe they aren't done exploding yet! Time will tell. Thanks for the suggestions.

I checked and I bought the sorbate only about 6 months ago. I have used it in subsequent batches with no problem so I guess I'll probably never know what happened! Now for a new question. When is the best time to add sorbate? I have been adding it after backsweetening or just before bottling. I noticed that Wade uses it before splash racking along with the K meta.

I always add mine after fermentation has ended and I am ready to stabilize , degass and let the wine begin clearing

Same as Waldo here. I swear I added sorbate to the batch that blew on me also and that wasnt past its date either.

I add the sorbate at the same time as a bit more k-meta and try to wait a few days before sweetening. This ensures that the wine has stabilized any yeast activity. If the yeast gets any food before you make conditions inhospitable for them, they see the food and start multiplying. If they are actively multiplying the sorbate won't stop that and it will continue.

Back