Did I pitch my yeast at too cool of a temp (Mango wine)?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TimTheWiner

Begintner
Reaction score
I started a 1 gallon experimental batch of mango wine. I am using a new Johnson Temp control with a deep freezer to keep fermentation at about 70°. I pitched the yeast about 12 hours ago but no activity, I checked the temp of the must and it is 68°. Did I screw up? Should I have started the fermentation at about 75° THEN put in the "cooler". Should I wait a few days and see, or should I add more yeast at a warmer temp now? I am using Pasteur Red.

I would keep it at 78 till its finished fermenting.
Take it out of the fridge and let it do its thing.
Why do you want to cool down the ferment on pineapple

sorry meant mango not pineapple...by the way, pasteur red yeast loves heat, and is tolerant to 85 degrees.

Well my basement tends to stay in the low 80s and I end up with a real fast ferment, so I figured low 70s would be better. Just took it out and threw the brew belt on it. I mainly got the deep freezer for cold stabilizing and being able to ferment whites around low 60s

sounds like you know what your doing.
pasteur red likes heat....i use it all the time, because its so hot here.
i did a cold ferment (65)and a normal (80)on a blackberry..i could not tell the difference except in the length of time it took to complete..both tasted the same

by the way....mango wine if done correct is excellent. i go through mango and pineapple as much as my dragon blood..i just cant keep enough of it.

Yeh the dragon blood is what's in the freezer fermenting as well. Hopefully the mango will restart. Will have to try pineapple soon too.

I have been pleaseantly suprised at these wines...mango,pineapple,peach and fig...by far the fig is the best i have made so far, and I have made quite a few fruit wines...fig is top on my list.
next year I am running ads to buy as many as i can..would like to get at least 250 lbs. if you get a chance...make some fig...you will not regret it.

I have a gallon of fig aging right now. I hope it turns out as good as you think it could.

The cooler temperature is OK as long as the yeast specifications say it can handle it. Sometimes it takes 72 hours or so before any sign of fermentation begins.

I always like to prepare a yeast starter for this very reason. Is the yeast viable or isn't it? Waiting 72 hours to find out can be nerve racking.

Be preparing a yeast starter before you pitch it, you will know for a fact the yeast are viable, so no guess work to it.

pasteur red yeast which he is using, is tolerant to 85 degrees, and it really works best on the high side of the temp ..if he was making a fruit wine with lots of acid, then he should cool it, becuase pasteur red will make the fermentation temp go up considerably. mango is a non acid fruit. I have not made near the wine others here have, but I have yet to hydrate my yeast.
I pitch (sprinkle on top) and it has not failed me....yettttt.

Loner..i see you are from Jackson,Miss....next year you will be trading for and are buying figs....it really is good...

Well I placed the brew belt on it and within 4 hours I have activity. Do most people backsweeten their mango? And where do you guys even buy fig?

James, I have one more year here and then I will be free to raid other people's fig trees while THEY are at work.

If you let the mango go dry, its not too tasty of fruit, a little sweetness goes a long way.
figs...you beg and borrow from people that have a fig tree, are maybe a farmers market..
fig wine is pretty rare...you wont find it in qty..and even most wine stores will not have any. the reason being, most orchards are owned by nabisco who do not sale to the public.

I have been pleaseantly suprised at these wines...mango,pineapple,peach and fig...by far the fig is the best i have made so far, and I have made quite a few fruit wines...fig is top on my list.
next year I am running ads to buy as many as i can..would like to get at least 250 lbs. if you get a chance...make some fig...you will not regret it.

How many figs do you need per gallon? My parents have a rather large fig tree that they still tend to but never really harvest anymore. I might have to take their figs since they're not using them. ;)

Edit: I've found the thread regarding fig wine, and simultaneously realized that I had gone off topic here. Sorry! =)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back