Did i "oops", or what?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UglyBhamGuy

Advanced Noob.
Reaction score
So i made some apfelwein a while back and when it "cleared" i kept one gallon out to continue under airlock.
Last night i racked and removed the cinnamon stick and added sorbate, but for got to add meta.

Is this gonna matter? should i add it today?
gonna add a can of concentrate this weekend.

No problem, just add the sulfite now to make sure MLF does not occur. Thats the reason to add sorbate first otherwise it doesnt matter as long as you add both before sweetening

You can add at the same time. The thing to watch is that you add sorbate soon enough to keep the yeast from breeding and so they die off. This way when you add sugar it does not start to referment.

I age my wines long enough that the yeasts die from lack of food. Later on I will add sorbate, back sweeten and add a pinch of sulfite. Then bottle a week later.

There is no "absolute" way, as you'll see by all the answers. I tend to stabalize at one time... sweeten a few months later.... then bottle at the 1 yr mark or so.

As long as you stabalize it, you can do the rest at any interval that fits your time.

Debbie

I like to wait a at least a few days after adding sulfite and sorbate befor sweetening. Kits have you add them one after another.

I like to wait a at least a few days after adding sulfite and sorbate befor sweetening. Kits have you add them one after another.

I will be waiting to sweeten from now on.. I sweetened my skeeter pee the day after stabilizing and it refermented..

Back