WineXpert Did I mess up Chocolate Raspberry Port

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bakervinyard

Reaction score
I started my Chocolate Raspberry Port yesterday. S.G. was 1.130, Temp. was 75 degree's. I ferment in my basement and the temperature is in the Hi 60's. I placed a brew belt on my fermentor, came home from work today and checked on the port. The temperature of the fermentor was 90 degree's. I unpluged the brew belt and put the lid back on. The question is will it be o.k. Should I get a timer to regulate the temperature better. Or not to use the belt at all. Thanks, Bakervinyard.

That doesn't hurt a thing. Generally, unless the room is very cold, you only need to plug in the brew belt to get fermentation going. Once it is going, fermentation generates its own heat.

Once fermentation slows to about 1.020, the temperature will again start to fall. At that time, and especially for this port, if the temperature of the port goes below about 72F, turn the brew belt back on and leave it on until the fermentation stage is completely done. This particular port need to stay warm in order to get the SG as low as possible.

Don't be concerned about putting the brew belt on a full carboy. Many of us have done it for years and without any problems.

Thanks Robie for the quick reply. Was just reading another post on CRP and if I read it correctly the person stated that they added a nutrient to the fermentation and also stirred it daily ? Should I do that also ? Thanks, Bakervinyard.

You will want to keep this batch nice and warm as this kit is well known as a problem child as far as fermenting to where its supposed to and even the manufacturer tells people to keep it warm and stir often to keep it going. This problem starts once you start adding the dextrose pack as you are starting to push the yeast pass its abv threshold.

Thanks Wade, I keep it nice and warm and I'll stir it also. Thanks, Bakervinyard

Back