Dewberry wine high sg

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Late with this, but I'd go with the lower number.

https://www.fatsecret.com/calories-nutrition/generic/dewberries-raw
Dewberries have 7.03g sugar/cup
Via calories you can convert that: 100g berries/43cal and 1c berries/62cal so dewberries have 7.03g sugar/144g berries.
Convert that again you get 7.03g sugar/0.317# fruit or 22.17g sugar/# fruit.
Times 12# fruit you have 266g sugar from dewberries.
You added 3061g sugar so total sugar is 3327g.
Winecalc tells me that puts your SG around 1.094.

Wow that is some useful info I'm going to keep that thanks . Also I've been reading and watching TV shows about winery's how come they only do an open primary fermentation for 1 to 2 weeks then rack to a barrel to clarify once fermentation is complete there seems to not be a secondary why do we go thru this process but not winery's ?

Wow that is some useful info I'm going to keep that thanks . Also I've been reading and watching TV shows about winery's how come they only do an open primary fermentation for 1 to 2 weeks then rack to a barrel to clarify once fermentation is complete there seems to not be a secondary why do we go thru this process but not winery's ?

The secondary fermentation vessel that many of us use is a carboy, not a barrel. But this step corresponds to the barrel step you reference above.

(BTW, true "secondary fermentation" refers to malolactic fermentation. When we sloppily say "secondary," often we mean "secondary fermentation vessel," not MLF.)

Hmm so that being said I have racked my wine to secondary after 5 days and have noticed the air lock is bubbling constantly it's like the fermentation is still goin strong but now I've sealed it off from air will it have an adverse effect ? Will it slow down should I just remove the air lock ?

Hmm so that being said I have racked my wine to secondary after 5 days and have noticed the air lock is bubbling constantly it's like the fermentation is still goin strong but now I've sealed it off from air will it have an adverse effect ? Will it slow down should I just remove the air lock ?

What is the specific gravity of the wine now? It is probably just degassing that you are observing, not fermentation.

What was the SG when you racked it to the second vessel? That's the real indicator, not the days. Even if it's near dry, sometimes racking can reinvigorate the fermentation than was slowing, or you could just be seeing bubbles of CO2 being released from the wine as it degasses. In any case, as long as it's not foaming through the airlock, it's probably just fine.

I did not check the sg when I racked and im not at home to check now but it's seems like the beginning of water boiling like the small bubbles coming up the side it was not dry tho I tasted it there was still some sweetness to it I'm just wondering if pulling the airlock and just covering the carboy with a cheese cloth would be better ?

Leave your airlock in place. It's not going to inhibit the fermentation.

Recheck your SG daily now. If it doesn't change in 3 days - your fermentation is completed. If that's the case, it can be tough to restart at this point. A wine with an SG of 1.014 is a tad on the sweet side but should not be objectionable unless you really want a dry wine. Most fruit wines benefit from some sweetness - and in many cases without sweetness the common complaint is a lack of taste. So you may have inadvertently created a off-sweet wine without having to back-sweeten. That's not a bad thing at all.

if I could send a video I would but I can't see how to attach one it is still fermenting vigorously allot of bubbles the airlock is bubbling once every second I will keep the airlock attached and see what happens 1557889648133.jpg

Latest posts

Back