WineXpert Degaussing right now...need help!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bob007

Reaction score
Hi,

The instructions say to degauss for 2 min with the first additive and then another 2 for the next additive.

I've done it for about 10 minutes with a drill and I still see bubbles rising. How do you know when it is completely done? Should there be no bubbles at all? I'm concerned as some of what I've read on here warns of oxidizing or losing alcohol when you degauss too long.

A quick reply would be greatly appreciated,

Bob

Degassing can take a while to get all the gas out, but at some point you are just creating bubbles with the drill. Run the drill for 30 seconds on a slow to moderate speed, stop and reverse the directio for about 30 seconds. Continue switching back and forth. That helps get the gas out. If you see a vortex forming you are running the drill too fast. 30 minutes should be more than enough to get it all out if you do it this way.

By the way, it is degassing not degausing - Degaussing is the process of decreasing or eliminating a remnant magnetic field. Not a big deal, but using the right terms and spelling helps eliminate confusion.

Depends on the size of the bubbles, small is degassing, larger is air being indroduced while stirring. Aging will also degass too, if it doesn't clear then try it again with temps around 70f. Nice and slow speed with the drill

Dang that grapeman is quick!

Hi,

The instructions say to degauss for 2 min with the first additive and then another 2 for the next additive.

I have never known a wine to be magnetic. Sorry, couldn't resist :)

Jeff

Edit: gaah, I see grapeman beat me to the punch line

There's nothing wrong with degassing more than once. I degas every time I rack it. You can also degas between rackings - I often use the long spoon for those, just because it's easier.

Hi again,

I followed the suggestions about slow drill speed and reversing the direction, and the bubbles cleared in about 10 minutes. Thanks so much for everyone's feedback.

Magnetic Man

PS learning the craft and the lingo!

Hi Bob,
I'm new to this too, I've bottled 6 kits with 4 more kits aging. For degassing, I use a drill for 2 minutes (30 second back and forth method noted above), then before adding anything I put a vacuvin on the wine. It sucks out the CO2. Also, make sure the wine is between 72-75 degrees F. the warmer it is, more gas will come out. I go through about 5 or 6 cycles and it seems to do a good job. Here is picture of how I set-up the vacuvin:

If you've got some Macgruber like skills, you can build a Vacuum pump like the one I just finished. The vacuvin pulls 23 HG of vacuum. The pump below also pulls 23 HG vacuum. It's not pretty but it works great:

Latest posts

Back