Degassing ??

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just started using super clear, so others would be better at answering that question. As far as adding any clearing agent (which I normally use sparkolloid) I didn't. I actually backsweetened at bottling time, so it went straight into bottles after sweetening.

Start with about 1/2 a cup honey for five gallons, you can use up to a cup depending on your taste. Let us know how it come out.
Cheers:b

A little further on the de-gassing thing......

I mentioned vacuum de-gassing before, Wayne over at Gotmead mentioned about using a Mityvac
type device, you can find these kind of things in Auto tools and spares shops as they're primarily designed to assist in the vacuum bleeding of car break systems - you'd just have to connect a pipe to the device and fit it through a bung.

They're quite cheap and you don't really have to worry, just pump the device until bubbles start coming out of solution, then leave it for the bubbles to stop, then pump it some more, and so on.... Hell, some of them even have gauges fitted so you could know how much vacuum you're applying.

Seen them here on ebay for about £20 or so....

regards

fatbloke

I started off with the Mity vac and although its much more work then an electric pump and really not too much less money its a good toll. The electric has many more uses also and is just plain awesome if you have a bad back. The mityvac and electric have gauges on them that take the guess work out of the equation as to knowing if your wine is degassed.

Ive played with a hand held vacuum pump, the kind for pulling the air out of open wine bottles. It made the sides of my BB carboy begin to collapse from the vacuum, and I didn't get any bubbles. Should the vacuums be used only on glass carboys?

Back