Degassing?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Famineguy

Reaction score
This morning I am racking and degassing my Malbec 6 week kit. The instructions say to stir (back and forth) vigorously 3 or 4 times in a 10 minute period. Then it says that this process can take from one hour to three days depending on the foaming / gas. So, what do you do. Do you stay at it for an hour, stirring every 2 to 3 minutes. Or to you do this in 10 minute intervals with a break in between. Obviously, if it goes on up to three days you would be stopping and starting. Any advice / experience would be much appreciated.

Cheers,
Brian

Please disregard my first message. I am new at this forum. I did a search and found a previous thread that explains the process and the variations.

You can certainly use the search function to find a lot of information already posted. You can also ask a question and depending on the time of day etc, many times you can get an answer in minutes here.

Yea I'm finding the search function very useful.. But if you want an answer to a specific question fast posting something new will often get an immedeiate response.. Two marks of a great forum right there..

Starting day three and when i give it a stir (back and forth) I am still seeing a small amount of foaming at the edges of the wine surface (against the carboy edge). The wine level is a little below the carboy neck. The foaming is definitely much less than when I started. Could it be that I am adding some air when I am stirring?

If your creating a vortex effect when your stirring and degassing the wine, your introducing air back into it. I always get some bubbles out of it, no matter how long I degassing the wine

TouronVineyards said:
If your creating a vortex effect when your stirring and degassing the wine, your introducing air back into it. I always get some bubbles out of it, no matter how long I degassing the wine

Yes. That is what I have been thinking. I will give it a couple more stirring sessions today and then proceed. Thank you for the reply.

Cheers,
Brian

Yes. That is what I have been thinking. I will give it a couple more stirring sessions today and then proceed. Thank you for the reply.

Cheers,
Brian

Remember that CO2 bubbles are like the tiny bubbles you see when you pour a coke. Even if you stir water hard enough, you will get bubbles, so look for those tiny coke bubbles.

You can also taste the wine and determine if you get a champagne type fizz on your tongue. That fizz is CO2. When the fizz is gone, you are done degassing.

Well. I gave it a few more stirs today and saw no further bubbles or foam at the edges. I also tasted it. . . No fizz taste. So, I went ahead and moved it to a cool location, then added the Kieselsol and Chitosan. Now all I have to do is wait. I will be off to the UK for a few weeks and when I return, it should be ready for filtering / bottling.

Well. I gave it a few more stirs today and saw no further bubbles or foam at the edges. I also tasted it. . . No fizz taste. So, I went ahead and moved it to a cool location, then added the Kieselsol and Chitosan. Now all I have to do is wait. I will be off to the UK for a few weeks and when I return, it should be ready for filtering / bottling.

I know the instructions say you can bottle right away, but really, don't get into too big a hurry to bottle. The wine can still drop sediment for another month or two. If you don't want sediment in your bottles, I'd let it set for awhile. Then after a couple months, rack the wine off any sediment and bottle. Leave an air lock on the wine and be sure it is topped off during the whole time until bottled.

Thanks for the advice Robie. I am not in a rush and would rather make good wine with expectations of starting to use it next winter. So, you suggest that I should leave it for up to two months from now and bottle around early June?

Latest posts

Back