Degassing

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

mico1984

Hello everyone!
Reaction score
I just bought two kits; one is Niagara Mist and the other Cali connoisseur. After reading the instructions they both say to degas by stirring the wine with a spoon 3-4 times per day for two days. Seriously? Couldn’t I just sue a drill mounted agitator and get it all done at once?:cool:

cpfan

Reaction score
My answer to that is MAYBE. Personally I don't think that the drill mounted stirrer does as good a job degassing as a spoon going back and forth (rather than round and round). I do the degassing mostly with the spoon over a couple of hours all in one day.

Plus I think Vineco words their instructions for those winemakers with a minimum of equipment.

A lot of folks who are really into the degassing thing use a vacuum of some form. I don't think that is mentioned in any instructions.

Steve

Wade E

Premium
Reaction score
WOW, I think you are the only person who ever osted that CP about the spoon vrs. the drill mounted stirrer. Me myself, I think the drill ounted stirrer works way better and the electric pump blows both away hands down!

cpfan

Reaction score
I agree that the vacuum works well, but I don't think that stirring round-and-round "BY ITSELF" does the job.

I have concerns that overuse of the vacuum will pull stuff out of the wine that you want to leave in it (like aromas).

I have recently bottled three kits that have no detectable (to my tongue anyway) CO2. I did not use a vacuum. I did some stirring with a Fizz-X on a drill, but most of the degassing with the spoon.

Steve

Wade E

Premium
Reaction score
I dont go round and round when i use the drill. I go on high speed just until the wine starts to turn in that direction then turn it to reverse and keep agitating it, I do not create a vortex as that just brings in 02 and thats not what we want. I dont over do it with the pump. i know there is a threshold between degassed and de flavored.

Conquistadude

Diabolical GENIUS!!!
Reaction score
I dont go round and round when i use the drill. I go on high speed just until the wine starts to turn in that direction then turn it to reverse and keep agitating it, I do not create a vortex as that just brings in 02 and thats not what we want. I dont over do it with the pump. i know there is a threshold between degassed and de flavored.

I use the exact same method.

Vanterax

Reaction score
I've been slaving at degassing this wine and I thought I'd never see the end. So I decided to go on youtube and search "degassing wine" to see what others are doing. Came across this video:

EDIT: I can't post the link since I don't have enough posts, but the title is "How To Make Wine: An Ingenious Way To Degas Your Wine".

It just so happens that I have the same instrument at home so I gave it a try. Oh wow!!! Did in 20 mins what could've taken days! Now it's sitting under a vacuum to extract the last of the carbon. And almost immediately, the wine started clearing. Very neat trick.

St Allie

Tech Administrator
Reaction score
here's the link

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZjL80hXkHdI[/ame]

Wade E

Premium
Reaction score
That is called vacuum degassing which can be done it about 2 minutes with this tool and you can also rack and filter with it also.

Latest posts