Degassing

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smikes

Reaction score
I have some Cab Sauv that I didn't Degass properly. So I have read here about degassing a carboy using a brake bleeder. I purchased one and decided to try to degass a bottle of the cab to try it out. I emptied some out and shook the bottle to get what I thiught would be most of the co2.Then I hooked up the bleeder and would pump, get bubbles from the bottom and pump up to 25 in hg vac.It would hold there ,but if I shake the bottle I get more bubbles and it will drop down to between 15-10. I pumped it up and left it overnight and it dropped a little(23),but once again shaking bottle will drop it to 15.

There is no big pop when I pulled cork,and they are on their sides with no leeking.

Am I doing something wrong? What is the best way to degass? How do you know you've degassed enough?

Wade is the break Bleeder Man.......WADE!! HELP!! You can use a bleeder on the red wines. You might not want to use it on the whites or even the fruit wines. It can remove the fruit flavor.

I vacuum degas al my wines and havent noticed any flavor loss. I dont use a motorized pump though as that can actually do harm if not careful. You dont actually want to get every bit of gas out of your wine just most of it. If you can hold 18-20" then you are done! Over degassing your wine will actually leave it flat!

Back