Degassing

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bovinewines

Reaction score
So this time, I'm using a combo with the drill whip and then putting the carboy cap back on and using the winevac thing.
Dang....how long does this go on???? I've been at it on and off for about an hour now. Its getting harder to pull bubbles...but I'm still getting bubbles.

Are we following an 80/20 rule here? In other words...if I drive off approximately 80% of the gas am I in good range or do I need to do this until my biceps look like Arnold's?

You do it until your arms look like Arnold's
smiley36.gif
If your at the stage to add clarifier's/ stabilizers your probably good, more will come out in time, and do again before bottling.

You will always produce bubbles. When the bubbles get big you have suffiently degassed your wine.

Perfect JW...remind me if we meet that I'll challange you to arm wrestling!

smiley2.gif

Of course, by then hopefully I'll have finally made it over to Harbor Freight and gotten me a brake bleeder and give my arms a rest!

wade said:
You will always produce bubbles. When the bubbles get big you have suffiently degassed your wine.

Please clarify that Wade.
smiley1.gif

If you are using vacuum degassing scotty you will always be pulling some kind of bubbles whether it be gas or just pulling pressure through the wine. Im not the scientist so Im not sure what it is called. I know that at a certain pressure you are actually boiling the wine.

I actually saw that last night and know exactly what you're talking about. Its almost like the wine was at a low boil...I wasn't just getting bubbles around the parameter of the juice...but the center was at a "gentle" roll.

That's when I figured I'd had enough. My arms seconded that motion and the resolution passed with no comment.

smiley36.gif

wade said:
If you are using vacuum degassing scotty you will always be pulling some kind of bubbles whether it be gas or just pulling pressure through the wine. Im not the scientist so Im not sure what it is called. I know that at a certain pressure you are actually boiling the wine.
Oh i see. I thought you were talking about degassing with a dril etc.

Thanks for the reply

The lower the atmospheric pressure, the lower the boiling point of a liquid.

i made a degasser.i'm just giving it a try now.i took a compressor from a junk 3.8 cu ft fridge searched home depot for an adapter and connected it a multifit stopper and plugged it in for a light steady perculate.

andy123 said:
i made a degasser.i'm just giving it a try now.i took a compressor from a junk 3.8 cu ft fridge searched home depot for an adapter and connected it a multifit stopper and plugged it in for a light steady perculate.

I have the last pices coming from ebay.
I have a small vac pump---an adjustable vacum switch-
a vac gague and now a couple of clear canister filters.

I want to mount the items on a common stand and see if i can adjust the vac switch for a specific vacum and do a proper no hands de gass.

i can visualize your upcoming"wine machine".i hadnt though of an in series filter degasser.i got a co2 tank some corny kegs and a ge under counter waterfilter for pressure filtering.i'll let you know if it works when i get it assembled.i'm real happy with my degasser.after 2 stirs i pluggedit in a couple hours later it was done.the bubbles were coming from the center now and the pink foam ring was now made of larger bubbles.i'd like to thank all the contributors of this forum and mr. C. for hosting us. Edited by: andy123

Andy, can you get a dial indicator to fit on there to read how many inches of vacuum your pulling with it? I like the idea but wonder if your going to implode a carboy as these carboys, (From what I hear) should not be pushed over 25".

thanks wade,implosion hadn't occured to me.i'll look in to tee ing in a gage.spilled milk i could get over,but spilled wine and a carboy ...many tears would be shed.

Back