WineXpert Degassing - Won't clear CO2

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dburling

Reaction score
This is the first kit I have made... WineXpert Selection Merlot

I completed initial fermentation and racked off lees. Followed directions and let it sit for 10 days. S.G. at that point was .992 so I assume all fermentation was complete. Per the instructions, I added the metabisulfite and sorbate. All is good to this point...

I proceeded to degas the wine but cannot reach a point where the sample does does give off CO2 when doing the hand over the end of the sample tube test. I have stirred it numerous times (at least 10 times - 3 or more minutes each) over the last 2 days but it still has CO2 in it per the test. Every time I draw a sample, place my hand over the tube and shake, I still get the pfft of CO2 release.

I have not added the Chitosan at this time. Can I get some advice on how to proceed?

You need something to help you degas. I started off with the stir method and then bought the drill attachment to save myself lots of stirring. I still had a problem with 02 so I bought the brake bleeder which was a step up. If you use the drill attachment to get the bulk of the gas out you can then attach the brake bleeder to finish it off. I finally got smart and bought the AIO vacuum pump which eliminates all of the above. It's all In What you are willing to spend. If you are in this for the long haul you will eventually get a vacuum pump of some sort.

I have to agree with Loner, the All in One Wine Pump will put your degassing issues to rest, and do so much more!

The only thing I will add is, what temp is the wine at will you are trying to degas?

I would have my wine at about 75deg. CO2 comes out easier when warm. It still can take a while.

FYI, I use a vacuum pump.

If you get a drill mounted stir rod, I found by mistake that at my drills low setting it would not take out the gas. Low was 0-300 rpm. At high speed, you had to be very careful to pulse it to not have eruptions of foam. I also now have an All in one Wine pump. I still use the hand brake bleeder pump just to confirm the gas is gone. the All-in-one wine pump does all the reall work.

Thanks for the fast responses! Temp in the area where I am working is around 72. Will look at that.

Should I wait to add chitosan until CO2 free?

I am also new at this so...
I have been told the idea is not to get all the co2 out, but get most of the co2 out. Put any commercial wine in a test tube and vigorously shake it and you will get a gas release co2? (foam, etc.):a1

You can add your clearing agent now, but it's effectiveness will be limited if you have a lot of CO2 in the wine. Better to wait, now that you've got your KMeta and Sorbate in there.

Short of owning a pump, the brake bleeder option that Loner mentioned is a good one. After two kits, I bought one, and for only $25 from Harbor Freight, it's well worth it.

Take a sample of a commercial wine and do the same test with it. Compare what you get with your own wine.

The reason is one can do the test with plain water and still get some (air) bubbles and a small pfst when pressure is released. CO2 bubbles tend to be much smaller than air bubbles, though.

The real test for CO2 is the taste test. After all, the reason for removing the CO2 is primarily its taste. If you taste a small sample and get that tinkly, fizzy taste on the end of your tongue, there is still CO2 present.

If you already have gotten the majority of the CO2 out, the rest may come out naturally under an air lock during clearing. You can always check it again and degas again before you bottle, just don't get into a hurry to bottle.

I have been using WE kits mostly and did the recommended tube test and would constantly get the poof! I use the drill mounted "wine whip". On my 1st WE kit, I kept doing the test and whipped it for a half hour total still with a poof. I contacted WE and explained what was going on and they cautioned me that I was whipping way to long, They suggested 10 min.

WinerBob1 - Thanks for the info from WE. I have been stirring like crazy and still getting lots of foam. I think I will give it until tomorrow and them add Chitosan and let it rest.

I never get all the gas out the first time with a mix-stir. After stabilization and degassing, gas is always pushing up the airlock, even a week later. I wind up degassing again after the last racking before letting it sit for 14 days per WE instructions. That, along with a couple of months bulk ageing seems to do the trick.

Latest posts

Back