Degassing with Boiling Stones vs Marbles Video

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cracked Cork

Reaction score
For those of you who were interested here is a video of boiling stones vs marbles for degassing. The stones were about 100X better than the marbles and you can easily see it in this video on yourtube. Maybe we can get George to stock boiling stones now :)

Crackedcork

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ehbaBiLUCD0"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ehbaBiLUCD0[/ame]<a href="" target="_blank">
</a>
Edited by: Cracked Cork

That was really interesting....What kind of marbles are they and how do they work?????...I am kind of out of touch.

are we talking about remonal of co2 if so a drill with a sturiping bit works excelent,so strain just foam,lots of it at times,then rack ,potassiom sulfate,until still,,
smiley16.gif

The little things that the gass is bubbling off of are boiling stones, the egg shaped things are marbles, just distorted thru the glass. They make little places for the CO2 gas to gather into a bubble and then it floats up and away out of your wine helping to degass it easier and more effectively no matter what you are using to degass with. Crackedcork

Not lots of foam, no need to hold a drill for a long time, no racking into another bucked just so you can stir some air into it. I did this in a one gallon carboy, didnt spill a drop, could control the foaming levels with the turn of alittle switch and didnt have to rack into a bucket to stir with. I know this is degassed when the bubbles stop forming, probably a little better than the drill things can do and less risk of contamination to. Crackedcork

Joes wines, I use the mix stir(power drill attachment) and also the brake bleeder and must say that unless you are bulk aging for a year which rarely happens at my house and a lot of other peoples houses as I make a lot of wine and just want to spend my money on kits and fruits instead of more carboys. I have 6-6 gallon carboys, 2-5's, 2-3's, 4-1's and a 3 liter. I am getting to the point where I wont be making as many soon and will concentrate on the more expensive reds and thats all. I usually bulk age for 4-6 months with an exception here and there like with the Choc Rasp Port, that 1 will not bulk age as Ive heard that this 1 is very good right out of clearing and will open 1 for Christmas and store the rest. To make an already long story short I find that using vacuum takes alot more of the gas out then just stirring.

when you say a vacume what do you rerefer to any type of equipment in perticular,I to have a lot of glass about 31 pcs, mostly 6.5 gallons/ half dozen 15 gallon and an assortment of 3,and 5 and 1 gallon ,so I understand what your talking about,I bottle age my wine no bulk for me,6m0. prep,then in the bottle it goes,and yes we do taste but I have vintages going back from when I started so their is good overlap and time to age and time to drink,don't get me wrong,we like our whites but through planning and making wine 3/4 times a year now its easy to bulk up volume and have more than the norm,thats wy I enjoy blending and creating different styles of wine,//

this morning when i whent to log in i had a hard time ,password or usuer name not correct ,but it was, is this sometimes happen on this site,I 'am not that great with this aspect yet but I'll get there///
smiley5.gif

this might be a stupid question but could you just grab some rocks off the ground and clean them up real good? Or is there something deeply scientific I am missing?

Are those stones just used once? How are they recovered for reuse? Are they small/fine to the point where they get siphoned when racking? Thanx...

Are those stones just used once? How are they recovered for reuse? Are they small/fine to the point where they get siphoned when racking? Thanx...

They are reusable - This is under vacuum - they are just showing the difference between stones (with sharp edges) and a marble (which is completely round )

If you are going to go thru this much work - you might of just vacuum racked with the splash racking cane and be done.

Provided your fermentation stage is completed and product stabilized, several splash-rackings prior to bottling usually takes care of CO2. For my own use, I usually pull the cork and pour to a decanter (a cork or cloth cover keeps solids out). 97% of my sampling is REDS and at room temperature. Letting the wine breathe really up's the experience!

Last edited:
I don't know When I turn My vacuum pump on it does about the same without stones. 20 minutes I am done.

Early on in my development - I took a marble and put vacuum in a carboy and swirled the marble around and the cO2 bubbles appeared to be as the marble disturbed the wine under vacuum.

It was at that time where I tried splash racking under vacuum and got great results.

You guys are missing the point, they provide a LOT of nucelation points which reduces the work on your pump to pull the CO2 out. They are resuable, just was off in some KM, dry and use again. We use a cap on our cane end so they dont get sucked up. Marbles are not even in the same league as boiling stones. Its not the sharp points vs a round marble, its the fractured surfaces with all their rough surfaces that greatly increase their surface area. Its like any tool in winemaking, you might not need it but it does make the job easier and more effective. WVMJ

I'm So Cornfused. For years Patience and time were the best tools for wine making. "We will sell no wine before it's time" one national wine maker proclaimed!

Now all for a sudden it is all about getten ur done.

I am just going to buy a wine making video game, and calling it good nuf. Bet with a little practice I can make 10,000 bottles a day without ever leaving the sofa:).

Keyword is NonReative, while a stone you pick up might be reactive especially to the acids in the wine, these do not leave a mineral taste, you would have to lick each rock you pick up to make sure they wont add any taste to your wine. WVMJ

this might be a stupid question but could you just grab some rocks off the ground and clean them up real good? Or is there something deeply scientific I am missing?

If its clear and ready to go but gassy why not? You can be as flexible as you want when you are making your own, that is one of the great things about winemaking. WVMJ

I'm So Cornfused. For years Patience and time were the best tools for wine making. "We will sell no wine before it's time" one national wine maker proclaimed!

Now all for a sudden it is all about getten ur done.

I am just going to buy a wine making video game, and calling it good nuf. Bet with a little practice I can make 10,000 bottles a day without ever leaving the sofa:).

Latest posts

Back