Degassing one gallons

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yanks4carolyn

Reaction score
I only make one gallon wines due to weight of larger quantities, that I can not do. What do y'all suggest as the best degassing of one gallons? Also when is the best time to degas?
Carolyn

I won't think you need to degass a one gallon batch. You should get into the All In One, with that you can make larger batches and there won't be any lifting.

I agree with Julie, the Ai1. Generally the Ai1 degasses during racking; but 1 gallon batches require more rackings to degas than larger batches (3 or more) due to the fact that you simply don't get as large of a sheet down the side of the carboy and the tip of the tubing is "underwine" when it is 3/4 full.

Carolyn, I accidentally discovered when you put the vacuvin stopper inside the airlock chamber of the 3 piece airlock you can pump enough to pull a good vacuum on the 1 gallon jug and you can see all the CO2 bubbles rushing to the top degassing the wine.
The downside is you can pump so much that the stopper can get sucked down too far making it hard to remove. Also there is talk of using a brake bleeder to pull a vacuum to degas.

The best time to degas is after you rack the wine or when instructions say to.

https://www.amazon.com/Vacu-Vin-Vacuum-Bottle-Stoppers/dp/B000GA3KCE
TXWineDuo

P_20160820_073023.jpg

P_20160820_073221.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Back