Degassing fruit wines

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spaceman

Junior
Reaction score
I have a newbie question. I have made a one gallon batch of wine from frozen concentrated apple juice and a gallon from frozen raspberries. I followed Terry Gaery's recipes. I wanted to try some small batches for the experience. They have been in glass carboys for three months. They have been racked once during this time. They aren't dropping any sediment and are clear.The book says leave for 6 months before bottling. Is this to let the CO2 naturally release. If so, could I degass like you do a kit wine, then stabilize and bottle? Or, do I need to be patient and wait it out? Like I said I'm new and it's darn hard to wait.
smiley26.gif

If they are setting on sediment go ahead and rack again. Then then stabilize and sweaten ,and bottle. After that forget them for about a year if you can. They will get better.

Chris

Spaceman,

I see no reason you couldn't de-gas them just like a kit if you want. You can either shake, or stir the crap out of them several times or you can use a vacuum to draw the CO2 out. Take them off any lees first though 'cause those blasted bubbles just keep on a commin' from the bottom if you don't.

Back