degassing for an hour or more with a degassing tool

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
okay so I am doing an update about my wine kit. I was having problems with degassing this wine and even though I was degassing it for hours it just needed more. I decided to leave it alone and put it in a cool place for clearing, at 62 F. the wine kit instructions suggested the temperature of 50-60F. So i was a little over that which doesnt seem like a big deal. They also said that it should be clear in 7-10 days. Today is the 14th day of clearing and sorry to get off track a bit here but Im starting to wonder why its not clearing ? it looks exactly the same as before I put in the clearing agents.. Any ideas or tips ?

I actually took an SG sample and its stable and done fermenting, also it tastes GREAT! way better than the fruit juice concentrate batches i made. So getting back too degassing , I wanted to find out if it still needs degassing so I put it in the hydrometer test tube and shook it up real good for about 20 seconds. it was noticeably foaming and fizzy and when i took the lid off it , it made a loud pop noise. So i dont understand how this still isnt done degassing. Alot of you were saying that I was getting on the verge of abusing this wine with the degassing but yet it looks like it still needs more.... The problem is , is that at this point you dont want oxygen getting to it , so I dont know if I should be taking the air lock off and doing more degassing.

Last edited:
is it possible the yeast is not dead yet and still active creating the Co2 , it happened and one of my batches they kept reactivating after I transfered the little buggers, sugar was not depleted yet

This is enlightening. We degassed our first batch last week with a spoon (upside down in the carboy). The temp of the wine was about 72f. The kit instructions said to degas for two minutes, add something then degas for another two minutes and test. Those instructions were crap! We probably ended up cranking hard on that jug for no less than 30', to a point where PVC shavings were coming off of the spoon. Yeah, the carboy was a rockin'. The point is I think I'll degas again after racking and go for some bulk aging. I don't think I'll pursue the drill method.

I realize this is an old thread, but I wish I had seen it when I was having degassing issues.

I was having real problems with the drill method on my first 4 batches. I actually got more foam from the spoon. They i realized i had a second speed on my drill and that made a huge difference. I went from no foaming to eruptions. I only had to pulse in each direction to get foam. It still took time, but at least it was effective. Eruptions are an issue for me so I plan to rack back to empty primary and degass there, then rack to carboy for stabilization and fining.

I hope to start using a vacuum in the new year. I have always used a bung in my carboys then I roll them back and forth on their sides then open the bung to let the gas out I do this several times each day for 3 days before I stabilize and clear then just before I bottle. I have had no problems with residual CO2 in my wine and if the carboy is topped off not much O2 gets mixed into the wine.

I use a brew belt the night before to warm it. Then I drill it forward and backwards. Then I use a vacuum pump.

John
Why would you stir and possiblly add O2 to your wine if you already own a vacuum pump ?

My good friend has a Pinot Grigio kit (WE), when it called for degassing, I racked it a few times with the All In One Pump after manually degassing for 20 mins (that got old fast, so i drove home and got the All In One), within 15 mins, it was degassed and on its way to being clarified.
4 days later, the wine is just about crystal clear.
If your have the pump, use it!

I know it's an over kill. I drill for 5-10 minutes then use a vacuum pump for a long time. 1-2 hours! Should I change my ways? I rig it up so I can vacuum pump 2-3 carboys at a time.

I know it's an over kill. I drill for 5-10 minutes then use a vacuum pump for a long time. 1-2 hours! Should I change my ways? I rig it up so I can vacuum pump 2-3 carboys at a time.

Yes, use the vacuum pump exclusively. But if it is taking you 1-2 hours via vacuum pump...well, it makes this girl wonder, why? In the time I have owned my All-in-One (hi Steve!) I have never had to spend more than 15 minutes degassing.

How long do you run your pump to degas your wine

Are you pulsing the drill? Or turning the wine into a vortex?

The first is what you want, the latter could possibly/most likely inject oxygen into the wine.

I use a vacuum pump myself, so im not the most experience on the manual degassing.. But from what i've read, people have had greater success with a back-and-forth motion, as opposed to the round-and-round motion..

So maybe give the spoon a try? Or pulse the drill, if you weren't originally.
Should work.

You could always put it in the basement as it is, and see how well it clears. If it doesnt clear all the way, address the degassing issue again later on.

How long doyou run your pump to degas your wine? And what pressure? Thanks

Doesnt normally take me longer than 10-15 minutes (@ 70-75F) to degas my wine to 20" on the regulator... Some people go up towards 25", but ive noticed 20" does just as good of a job for me

I use a vacuum pump myself - don't have much experience with the manual degasser.

I would do a test on it - put a bit in your hydrometer test tube - shake it like crazy - take you hand off - see if you hear what would sound like opening a soda can when its hot.

If it does - then it is just really gassy.

I like this approach ^^^^

Latest posts

Back