Degas

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CharlieM

Reaction score
I'm into my first kit (Vinexpert - Green Apple Riesling) and on step three, try to degas it. I've been using a "wine whip" daily for three days now, about 5 minutes at a time. It is less than the first time but there's still a littel gas when I check it. Is this normal, taking this many days? The instructions make it sound like it should be a semi-quick process. Thanks for any and all ideas! :b

I agree that the instructions tend to downplay the effort required to properly degas (another reason my first batch was crap). I just degassed 2 batches recently using the wine whip and a poor mans vacuum pump (link below) and found it took me nearly one hour each to get them properly degassed.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000XY8PDW/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Not sure if that is normal since I'm new to this as well but I wanted to chime in as this was a problem for me in the past.

Last edited by a moderator:
Temperature plays a role in the amount of CO2 remaining in the wine and how long it takes to degas. My suggestion is to get the wine to around 75 degrees.
Tony P.

What was your specific gravity when you started degassing? If you are following the directions to the letter, you mite not of been completely done fermenting when you started degassing. Make sure the S.G. stays the same for at least 3 days running to be sure you are done fermenting. Good luck with it, Arne.

SG was supposed to be between 1.010 and 1.018, measured it before starting step 3 and it was 1.015. From all I've read it just takes some time. I also lowered the temp in the room from 72 to 75. Small window AC unit in there. Been "wine whipping" it for aobut 10 minutes each day. Going to do it again tomorrow then gas test again. But I will check the SG as well. Thanks!

Latest posts

Back