decisions for plums

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dragonmaster42

Reaction score
I have acquired on several trips to the grocery store around 40 or so pounds of plums (a mix of black and red). The original thought was to make a 6 gallon batch of plum wine. I'm leaning more toward a 3 gallon batch of wine and a 3 gallon batch of port. I think 6 gallons of port would be too much for me. Whatcha all think?

Tony

I'd go for the 6 gallons of Port
smiley4.gif

I like to use about 8 lbs per gallon with wine and 1 1/2 times that for a Port.

And I have more Plums if you need more Tony..You canborrow my steamer/juicer too if you like..call me on my cell..501-317-7527

Dang it Wade, now I have to do figurin' - let's see, move the decimal, carry the one, add..... never mind, got the calculator - 12 lbs/gallon for port. So I can do the 3 gallons of port, no problem and will need a bit more fruit for 3 gallons of wine. I think I'll go that route.

Thanks Waldo. I still need to freeze the latest ones, so it'll be a couple weeks but I do want to try out your steamer/juicer for these.

Tony

The steam juicer was borrowed from Waldo and the final decision was made. Wade I used your ideas for amount of fruit and (perusing some of the other recipes for ports on the forum) ended up with the following:

Plum Port (3 gallons)
33 lbs plums (~ 2 gallons juice)
2 lbs light malt
1/2 liter grape concentrate
2 oz dried elderberries
sugar to sg 1.120
water to just about 3.5 gallons
strainer bag with about 1/2 of the total fruit pulp post juicing for good measure
pectic enzyme and the usual cast of characters (yeast nutrient, bentonite, etc)

Plum wine
24 lbs plums (~1.75 gallons juice)
1/2 liter grape concentrate
2 oz dried elderberries
water to 3.5 gallons
sugar to sg 1.085
strainer bag with the other half of the fruit pulp post juicing
pectic enzyme and the usual cast of characters (yeast nutrient, bentonite, etc)

I'm going to leave it until the morning so the pectic enzyme can start doing it's thing then toss EC-1118 yeast and about 3 oz medium toast oak chips for both.

Tony

Racked both of these this evening. Both fermented to dry and taste like tart plums with not much aroma to speak of. They'll definitely need back sweetening when the time comes. Still dropping a fair amount of sediment.

Added oak in the primary to both of these. Haven't decided if I want
to add any more to the secondary or not. Figured I'd let it age a while
and see what it tastes like.

Back