Plums

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Neil

Junior
Reaction score
I have about 150 lb of plums I need to figure out what to do with. Dark Blue/Black skins.

Suggested recipes?
Anything special to watch out for with plums?
How does it taste?
Anything else I should be aware of when I go to use them?
Stone in or out - I have heard they add a slight almond taste which is not unpleasant.

I am thinking of several sperate 5 gallon batches to try different things...

Thanks
Neil

Wow, lucky you!
I did a plum dessert wine very recently using about 9 lbs plum for a 1 gallon batch. Froze them first, 1118 yeast, step feeding, got the ABV just shy of 19%. Eventually I'll back sweeten the heck out of it.

It's my first plum wine so I can't offer anything else.

Good luck!

I’ve never done plums, but options for fermenting include raisins, cranberries, etc. light malt. Options are endless. Also yeast options, I’m a fan of splitting the must into multiple buckets, fermenting each with different yeasts, then blending back at SG=1.020, or ferment dry and blend much later. Hopefully the plums are pitted and frozen, will help extract color and juice.

With that much fruit available, I'd be tempted to make a fruit only (no water) wine. Remove the pits and freeze.

Use a maceration enzyme such as (lalzyme colorpro) and oak chips to help with color and body

Plums are high pectin, therefore to clarify the finished you add pectase.
Plums are a climacteric fruit, that means that like peaches they continue to ripen at room temperature. The sugar and aroma will increase, starch will decrease. A down side is that they eventually form mush which is hard to press.
I had my own tree so I ran 100% juice.
They need acid, ripe plums should be about pH 5.2.

With that much fruit available, I'd be tempted to make a fruit only (no water) wine. Remove the pits and freeze.

Use a maceration enzyme such as (lalzyme colorpro) and oak chips to help with color and body
I had considered that. Worried though it might be a bit harsh with all all that acid from the fruit and tannin from the skins - although if I don't leave the skins in long I can avoid the tannin. Would like to extract as much color as possible though.

Made 11-gal of Plum last summer and turned out well. Started with a vitners plum concentrate, about 50-lb of fruit, and about 8-gal of water. I think the advise above is good. Lessons learned for me were that the wine comes out tasting thin, so definitely need to incorporate tannin; in my case i pressed too early because i was getting too many fruit flies and wanted to get wine under airlock. I also used Lavin K1-V1116 and got stuck towards end so need to use more nutrients upfront. My notes tell me I had 2 tsp of yeast nutrient, but should have used more and added a step halfway. For backsweeten I tested a number of natural juice additives including fuji apple, apricot nectar, white grape; but the best was natural prune juice and wine conditioner. Added body and brought back sweetness.

I had considered that. Worried though it might be a bit harsh with all all that acid from the fruit and tannin from the skins - although if I don't leave the skins in long I can avoid the tannin. Would like to extract as much color as possible though.
Tannic red wines are fined with egg whites which reduces tannin. It should work for plum as well.

Made 11-gal of Plum last summer and turned out well. Started with a vitners plum concentrate, about 50-lb of fruit, and about 8-gal of water. I think the advise above is good. Lessons learned for me were that the wine comes out tasting thin, so definitely need to incorporate tannin; in my case i pressed too early because i was getting too many fruit flies and wanted to get wine under airlock. I also used Lavin K1-V1116 and got stuck towards end so need to use more nutrients upfront. My notes tell me I had 2 tsp of yeast nutrient, but should have used more and added a step halfway. For backsweeten I tested a number of natural juice additives including fuji apple, apricot nectar, white grape; but the best was natural prune juice and wine conditioner. Added body and brought back sweetness.I to

If I don't get rushed by the fruit all getting overripe at the same time (no rom in the freezer). I will make a few different batches with things I have at hand.

#1. 6lb/gallon Plum, with acid to bring it to the right level if needed, sugar to about SG1.1, nutrient and maybe tannin later (will ferment on the skins a while which should add plenty of tannin)

#2. 12lb/gallon Plum, with acid to bring it to the right level if needed, sugar to about SG1.1, nutrient and maybe tannin later (will ferment on the skins a while which should add plenty of tannin). Will probably step feed this one with sugar and make a desert wine.

#3. 6lb/gallon Plum, plus a good amount to raisins which I happen to have.. maybe 2lb/gallon, with acid if needed to bring it to the right level, sugar to about SG1.1, nutrient and maybe tannin later (will ferment on the skins a while which should add plenty of tannin)

#4. 12lb/gallon Plum, Plus some Bananas to add body with acid to bring it to the right level if needed, sugar to about SG1.1, nutrient and maybe tannin later (will ferment on the skins a while which should add plenty of tannin)

From what I read acidity will probably be too high, and body a bit low. So I may have to bring down the acidity. I dont want to do it with water as that will just dilute the already thin plum flavor.

I may have enough to do one more 5 gallon batch....Hate to see them go to waste, but didn't really want 20 gallons of plum wine which I have never tried before. Oh well only things its going to cost me is mostly sugar and time. Plums were free.

Last edited:
Like the experimenting... Just a word of caution, the juice yields from plums are pretty low (at least they were in my case), so be prepared to add something (if not water) if it's needed. You could use a concentrate or natural prune juice, without sacrificing flavor. Also, the skins are tough and dont break down as easily as grapes. I used pectic enzyme as recommended, but would also consider the advice above as winemaker81 suggested to try a maceration enzyme for more color and body. Could be a difference maker to take your Plum Wine to the next level. Im going to put that one in my tool box for next time!

Back