December 2013 Wine of the Month Club

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Kim, I can't wait till my table looks like that.

Kim, At one point this year I had 14 different wines in carboys. 6 Gal, 5 Gal and some 1 Gal. My wife asked a couple times "just how many carboys do you have?" LOL, Bakervinyard

jamesngalveston said:
you guys got to start doing bigger batches...one gallon dont cut it.

I just told my wife tonight that as soon as one of my primaries is free I'm going to do a big batch of the raspberry.

I make big batches but the one gallons are fun for odd/new combos.

you guys got to start doing bigger batches...one gallon dont cut it.

The point of this thread is experimentation.
I make more wine in 3-5 gallon batches than my wife and I can drink.
If spiced sweet potato wine is a total failure, I'd rather fail in a 1 gallon batch than a 5 gallon batch...much less painful to throw out.
Besides, the when a 1 gallon batch comes out great, each bottle is like gold!

Stressbaby said:
The point of this thread is experimentation. I make more wine in 3-5 gallon batches than my wife and I can drink. If spiced sweet potato wine is a total failure, I'd rather fail in a 1 gallon batch than a 5 gallon batch...much less painful to throw out. Besides, the when a 1 gallon batch comes out great, each bottle is like gold!

In my short time as a "winemaker"' I would agree that the yield from a gallon batch that comes out good is like "gold".

Kim, I can't wait till my table looks like that.

Kim, At one point this year I had 14 different wines in carboys. 6 Gal, 5 Gal and some 1 Gal. My wife asked a couple times "just how many carboys do you have?" LOL, Bakervinyard

Lol I have to admit I have quite a few. My girlfriend owned a u-brew- That's how I got into all this back in 2009) I did more kits than you can imagine. Anyway, she sold out and I bought out whatever I could afford. :)

My wine for this month:

Concord/Cranberry

(2) 64 oz Ocean Spray 100% Concord/Cranberry
14 oz Sugar
1/4 tsp pectic
1/2 tsp acid blend
1/8 tsp tannin
1 tsp yeast nutrient
Lalvin 71B-1122 yeast

I warmed about 4 cups of juice to disolve the sugar and added the rest of the juice to the primary. Added all ingredients execpt the yeast, left stand for 12 hours and pitched the yeast.

Starting SG: 1.092

Started fermentation in primary yesterday. Fermenting well tonight!

Transferred my Concord/Cranberry to the secondary tonight. SG 1.002. Has a great color and smell. It was a active/strong ferment in the primary.

ForumRunner_20131219_224237.jpg

oooh,, that is beautiful Nathan! I love the color.

I had to sequester my onion wine to the garage while it's still in the primary. I normally like the smell of a good ferment, but this one is well... just a little pungent.

Yeah Medic, that is seriously gorgeous. It should be really stunning once it clears too.

Lol Lori; I wondered what fermenting onion would smell like. God forbid it gets an So2 problem on top of that - you'd have to fumigate!

I had to sequester my onion wine to the garage while it's still in the primary. I normally like the smell of a good ferment, but this one is well... just a little pungent.

Oh Lori this made me laugh! I cannot imagine what onion wine would smell like.

Racked my port yesterday - got 1.5 gallons exactly. Whew! I also put a bunch of the lees into a canning jar in the fridge in case any more separates and I can use it to top up.

Popped in the crushed campden tabs, and have but them in the basement to 'relax' for a few months before I rack again.

Check out this sediment:

WP_001099.jpg

Thats a lot of nasty! but the stuff on top looks Mmmmm! Have you tasted it?

Hey Kim,
I would have, but it would have been useless - I've had this nasty cold, and can't taste a thing! Feel a bit like I've missed out really.

Once it's gone, maybe I'll sneak a bit from the mason jar in the fridge. I'll report back for sure!

That is a lot of sediment! I had to go back and see what you were making. I thought maybe pineapple would leave that much.

The onion wine smells different than anything I can describe. It doesn't smell like onion, but it sure doesn't smell like grapes either. haha
I think it's going to make a great cooking wine, although it is supposed to be a sweet wine that has no onion taste. Time will tell.

any of your light colored fruits have tons of lees, peaches,apples,apricots,cantaloupe,mangos,figs,and expecially pineapple.

Latest posts

Back