decanting

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hannabarn

Reaction score
I'm sure this has been discussed before but here goes. What is the purpose of decanting? What is the proper procedure. How long should it take place?
smiley5.gif

Decanting allow oxygen to blend into the wine to "open it up" and reach it's full potential. It allows any trapped CO2 in the wine to leave and disperse it's odors along with it. You can decant a wine in various ways. Simply pour a glass and let it sit for a half hour or so will help.

To properly decant though you use a decanter that will sort of splash the wine as it is poured in it to oxygenate the wine. Let it sit for a half hour or so and you will notice a vast difference in most wines. The fruit and other flavors should be much more forward now.The colder the wine is, the longer it should decant but various wines are meant to be enjoyed and certain temps.

I am no expert on this and rarely decant but there are many here that do and I am sure they will chime in and give furthur info.

A proper decanter is the best as they are designed to allow maximum exposure of the wine in the vessel to the air. I also give my wine at least a few swirls to help aerate it before settling for 45-60 mins then drinking and this helps the reds wine's temperature come up to room temp from cellar temp. Decanting will also allow for solids to settle out and most of my "good" reds have tartaric crystals in them and they will stay in the decanter if you pour carefully.My decanters will hold a 1.5 L bottle and still be at the proper level and since I don't finish that much in one day I routinely cover the decanter and finish the following day. Any longer than 24 hrs oxidation starts to occur and it starts to go downhill. Here is a picture of a decanter (mine are similar).

decanter-thumb.gif

I had read and find it holds true,the 20 minute,rule,chill your wine ,white or red 55/degrees and 20 minutes before using decante,and lets it come up to room temp,usually 68/degrees,it does bring out all the statements our counter parts have stated above,it is call the 20 min. rule,
smiley20.gif
it works
smiley2.gif

Back