Decanters

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Had a similar one and broke it. I bought one on amazon that is similar to this one. I like it but I've bumped into it before and watched some expensive wine do a scary dance on the table. It's ornate but I suggest a stable decanter. I REALLY like the RoJaus as stated above. I think that'll be on my Christmas list!
7526d_Spiegelau-Pisa-Decanter.jpg

Venturi aerator works wonders for me. Did quite a bit of research on which aerator had the best bang for the buck and it came out on top. Have done multiple blind tastings with and without it. So far our wine tasting group is 100% correct guessing which wine the aerator was used on. Makes a big difference in reds.

-Gnat

Yes,

GET THIS ONE!!!

The wine pours over the glass ball (at the top inside of the funnel) that rests on a micro-screen. This aerates and also removes sediment.

The glass ball can be placed in a freezer so that when you decant wine, you can also chill it at the same time. There is a spigot at the bottom so there is no spilling or mess. I have had one for years and can't recomend it enough!.

Thanks for the recommendation on this decanter! My girlfriend bought it for me for Christmas and it is absolutely amazing! Does your screen seem to fit loosely in the holder though?

Sorry, I couldn't resist. :)

Decanting is done for several reasons. First, if a wine has sediments, carefully pouring the wine from a bottle to another vessel allows you to leave the sediments behind. That is decanting.

A decanter also lets the wine have some exposure to air. This can help soften a harsh wine in some cases before drinking it.

And, it can make for a great presentation when serving wine

Certain wines benefit greatly from the splashing into a decanter such as a young full bodied wine, it will allow the wine to open up a bit. However some wines such as an older pinot noir are much too fragile to decant. Decanting an old fragile wine could strip it of much of the remaining character and literally make the wine fall apart before you ever get to enjoy it.

I was very skeptical at first when I got this as a gift for Christmas this year. Mostly because it is cheap and made for Christmas Tree Shop. I have to say after trying it that it made a big difference in the flavor of the wine. There are two other added bonuses that I have noticed. It keeps the drips from pouring directly from the bottle from happening and the stand (the black base) also doubles as a plastic funnel for my carboys and jugs. If you are looking for a cheap alternative this may be it.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005W6TQLQ/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Last edited by a moderator:
Agree with above.

If you need a clearer picture, try the same wine side-by-side (one decanted and one not decanted). You will see a big difference in the taste!

Latest posts

Back