de-gassing

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wray

Reaction score
i have read about de-gassing using a vaccum pump.how much negative pressure is used?at what negative pressure does co2 boil away(at 1 atmosphere)?do the other aromatics in the wine get removed?at what negative pressure does etoh boil away?sounds risky.

Don't go above about 20. At that setting, you would have to leave the wine under vacuum for a long, long time to remove any appreciable amount of aroma.

Nothing should boil at 20.

the bubbles in the wine under negative pressure is co2 boiling away(i assume). also, should de gassing be done prior to topping carboy off as to increase the surface area under negative pressure?

the bubbles in the wine under negative pressure is co2 boiling away(i assume). also, should de gassing be done prior to topping carboy off as to increase the surface area under negative pressure?

Yes, and it will keep the "foam" from being sucked up in the vacuum device.

Also, at -20" of vacuum (equals 250mm HG) ethanol will boil out at 51 degrees C, so no need to worry about that.

I believe that you are not actually boiling off the co2 just removing the bond between the wine and co2 developed from fermation. You can transfer the wine under low vacuum with a little splashing and it will start removing alot of co2 - the more vacuum the more co2 removed

thanks steve
http://allinonewinepump.com/

I was concerned that I would suck the flavor out of the wine. aroma is a large part of taste

Actually, if one bottles the wine and it is not fully degassed, I have noticed that when I first open one of the bottles, it has very little aroma and even less taste.

I have found for most any homemade wine and especially in this case, that if the wine first is decanted and every thirty minutes or so the decanter is swirled a few times, after some (variable) time period, the wine's aroma will open up. I repeat the swirling and sniffing until the aroma starts coming out. When it does, the wine is ready to drink.

A few nights ago I tried Mike's (IBGLOWIN) technique of opening a bottle, take out a glass or so, then putting the cork back in and letting the wine set for 24 hours before opening again to drink. THIS REALLY WORKS FOR HOMEMADE WINES!!! Give it a try.

For supplying a bottle of wine at the local wine club meeting, a few times I have opened a bottle, decanted it until it was ready, then put it back into the bottle and recorked it before leaving the house. This way the wine is ready to drink and it will show much better at the club. Cheating? Nah!

I use my drill attachment to stir and do an initial degassing. I then use my allinone pump to rack to a second Carboy that's under vacuum. I let the wine actively splash into the Carboy under vacuum and this works well for me. I'm not sure if this is the "proper" way to do it but I don't have to worry about using too much negative pressure.

Degassing

I'm about to bottle my first batch - but after tasting my french Cab/Sauv wine kit end product, it tastes a bit flat and more like a Merlot. Little or no aroma, maybe a bit Co2-ish?

What should I do? Rack into another container (splashing around a bit) then bottle??

If you think it could be a co2 issue -decanter a bit of it - let it sit - then retaste it - and see if any change happened.

Thanks Steve
http://allinonewinepump.com/

I'm about to bottle my first batch - but after tasting my french Cab/Sauv wine kit end product, it tastes a bit flat and more like a Merlot. Little or no aroma, maybe a bit Co2-ish?

What should I do? Rack into another container (splashing around a bit) then bottle??

Latest posts

Back