D47 for whites/rose'

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bmd2k1

Reaction score
Wondering who else likes to use D47 for your whites &/or rose'. Feel free to share what your typical protocol is when using D47 too.

For me...I'm typically fermenting in the mid60sF, just sprinkle on top w/o any added nutrients and let it ferment for 3-4weeks.

Cheers!

Last edited:
To add, D47 contributes a lot of polysaccharides which increases weight and mouthfeel. Great for that rounded Chardonnay style, often times further accentuated by sur-lie, batonnage, and oak (even if neutral). But not so great if you’re aiming for a light bodied white.

D47 is one of my go-to yeasts for anything I want fruity... whites, fruit wines, melomels, etc. 71B is another. Both help create fruity esters. I do the same as you with the dry yeasts, just sprinkle on top. Theoretically the yeast would benefit from making a starter, but unless you do that exactly correctly it has the same (small) risk of putting strain on the yeast as just introducing it to the must (per Shae Comfort).

I've been using D47 for the last two years on my Chardonnay, Viogner, and Sauvignon Blanc. Seems to work - but how can you really tell without trying out different yeasts simultaneously in different batches??

Seems to work - but how can you really tell without trying out different yeasts simultaneously in different batches??
Absolutely one of the greatest educations in winemaking I've ever had... splitting batches and experimenting with different yeasts. The yeast makes a HUGE difference in flavor, and I had no idea just how significant it was until I did an A/B test. Created 2 completely different wines, fermented side by side with the only difference being yeast strain.

I've been using D47 for the last two years on my Chardonnay, Viogner, and Sauvignon Blanc. Seems to work - but how can you really tell without trying out different yeasts simultaneously in different batches??
Haven't done it with wine....but did when making hard ciders & D47 became my go to Fav. After researching it for wines...found excellent feedback for use in whites. So I used it for my 1st Rose´ which turned out great & now in my 1st Chardonnay.

Cheers!

Latest posts

Back