Crushers Versus Presses?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

byurod

Junior
Reaction score
I have a very small vineyard, but my grape production is getting to a point that I'm tired of smashing the grapes in a Zip Lock bag with a meat tenderizer. I guess my next step is purchasing either a press or a crusher. Knowing how hard it can be to smash the muscadines, I'm concerned that the press won't do the job. So when do you use a press and when do you use a crusher?

If you use the press, is it safe to assume that you put thepulp and skins into the fermenter when doing reds?

You are right. When doing reds you put the grapes in the fermenter for at least part of the primary fermentation. That breaks down the pulp and skin somewhat and extracts colors and flavors. Then at some point you press it or run it through a sieve to get the free run juice. A press is nice for reds. For whites a crusher is good because the grapes haven't had a chance yet to break down making pressing like you say- harder and less productive.

I think a crusher would be the better value most likely as it will also help you destem the grapes also as both red and white will benefit from this tool. You b=can always just buld your own simple press with a bucket with drilled holes in it and a pc of wood cut to fit in there.

A straight crusher willNOT destem also. It takes a combination crusher/destemmer to do both. I started with just a crusher and used it one year and then moved to a crusher destemmer. The crusher can be used and then you can bang the stems against the side of the primary to knock the grapes left on the stem off.

Latest posts

Back