WineXpert Crushendo Syrah

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rgecaprock

Reaction score
Well, I bottled my Crushendo Santa Ynez Valley Syrah a couple of weeks ago that I started in August. I actually oaked it with French Toast oak cubes for 2 months. I've been trying to decide how to discribe it to you all the past two weeks.

It is a very beautiful rich deep purple with a nice body to it but I'm a little worried about the taste. It was pretty sharp and bitter. I did sweeten it up a bit....only a bit because I want it to be dry. I'm hoping that aging will take away the bitterness so I'm going to leave thatit alone for a good long while.Anyone have the same thoughts on this one?

Ramona

The tannins in the Syrah plus the oak you addedneed some time to soften up. Give it another 3 to 6 months and it should be much smoother.

The downside is that it will take longer before it comes into it's own. The up
side is that the wine will last... and getter better and better as it ages.

I've seen this with commercials too. I used to belong to the British Wine
Society. They used to do specials every now and then, very inexpensive but
not immediately drinkable. After a year or two they were unbelivable.

On another topic I saw someone who commented that the lower end kits
have a limited shelf life (probably a year or two) and then they lose
something of the quality. I suspect the better the kit, the longer it will hold
up.

I also did the Syrah kit, but haven't tried it since the day I bottled it. Though, when I did try it, it was a lot more complex than any other kit wine I have made. I think the skin contact has a lot to do with it.

Also, I would suspect it should be extremely bitter from the skin contact. They say to let it lay down for two years before drinking....

I'm not sure I can last that long, but I am about six months in without even one taste (which is a world record for me)...

I have mine put away out of sight so I won't be so tempted. You are right about the complexity. I really love the red wines but have come to really enjoy the whites I have made and they are very good early. I can bide my time with them.

Ramona

Let me know how yours is ,rshosted, next time you taste it.

Hey, ramona.
Tried a bottle of the Creshendo Syrah last night. I had a party and pulled out a split to try. I have a friend that keeps thinking of getting into the hobby. So I shared the split with him and his wife. his wife was a little put off that we put my own homade wine when she still had a 'nice' bottle left.

After she tried it, she asked if I had more. Unfortunately, I had to tell her to come back in a year or two.

It was young, but had an exceptional mouthfeel. I have to say, I don't know that I'll buy another kit that doesn't come with the skins. It improved the wine more than any other wine I've made. I would say it is comprable to a $40 bottle (of course I'm in utah so that's a $30 bottle to ya'll
smiley2.gif
) (if you are scratching your head why:two words: Sin tax
smiley19.gif
)

Anywho. I'm more tempted than ever to pull a cork on another bottle. I'll just keep chanting my mantra: Be strong, let the wine come along. (reapeat ten times)

Rs,

Glad you had an occasion to bring out a taste and looks like it was well received.

I'm not going to touch mine until about 6 months, maybe 3 at least. Hope it will be as good as yours so far.

I had the smoothest almost buttery cab Friday night. It was Joseph Phelphs Innisfree probably about 30.00 commercial but really enjoyed that one.

Guess we can supplement with the commercials until ours comes into it's own time.

Ramona

Yes the reds do enjoy time in the bottle. And yes I am sitting here sipping my white Apricot as I respond to these. I have somebarlo that isout of site and mind that I am notopening for 1 year after being in the bottle. wow 4 months to go. now wheredid i hide the cases. PS i used wax to seal thecorksso they are in case boxessitting up in the back of a closet somewhere and Im not go inglook yet.making the stuff is not as hard as waiting. But after a while you buildup your own special reserve. HAHAHAAHAHAAAAAA

My Crushendo Syrah has been bottled now since the middle of Dec. Last week Curtis and I were drinking a commercial red then he slipped into the closet and pulled out a bottle of the Syrah, poured it and handed it to me to taste. I thought it was still the commercial. I was so surprised at how it is smoothing out even after 2 months. As I said it was alittle sharp andbitter at bottling.George was right about how it would soften.

Ramona

Latest posts

Back