RJ Spagnols Cru Select Brunello

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pumpkinman

Reaction score
I just tasted a Cru Select Brunello and I was floored! It was real good...good enough that I am thinking about ordering one!
Does anyone have any experience with this kit?
Is there an even better Brunello Kit available that I won't have to spend $200 for?
Last question, if I was to use BM45 Brunello Dry Wine Yeast, which I do have, instead of the EC-1118 generic yeast, I have to think that it would do this wine much more justice than the EC-1118, any thoughts?

Thanks!!

Tom

The Brunello was a Limited Edition WE wine from a couple years ago. I still have a couple bottles left that are 2 years old. I haven't tried the RJS one but we really enjoyed the WE one. $200 sound a bit much for a kit

cheers

long time lurker, but been making wine for about 10 years. I have one of the RJS kits that's about 60 days from starting and from what I can tell, its going to be good. I am very impressed with it so far.

What i mean, is that I don't want to pay 200 for a kit, but on a side note, as a thank you for the help I've been giving him, my buddy bought me a RJ Spagnoles Brunello kit!!!
Damn! I can't wait!
I spoke with George at Fine Wine Vines and he answered all of my questions about using a different yeast and so on. He is a great guy providing great service!

I am drinking a cru select Brunello right now. It wasn't really impressed with it until now at 23 months old. I would make this kit again. I would also consider trying the We Brunello with skins. Anybody done both?

I just purchased a merlot grape skin pack that I'll add to the fermenting bucket, I was surprised to be able to order on grape skin pack for $24.50, I had to select "4" or it gave me an error, then it processed it as one grape pack for $24.50.
I guess I'll see what arrives in a few days! Here is a link if you are interested: Click for Grape Skin Packs

at my LHBS they sell one 2.5 kg pack for $18 so if you get 4 that would be a great price

no lie!!! I wish that we could fine them here in the states easily, I think that this was just a mess up with the website shopping cart, as soon as I plugged in "4", it allowed me to place the order instead of getting the error message that "This product is not available in the requested quantity. 1 of the items will be backordered."
as soon as I entered 4 as quantity, it go's through, but shows up as 1...lol
If it comes as 1 lot of 4..well hell...I'll be ordering another...lol!

I love Brunello! I have done the WE limited twice. Done the Cru Select once and now doing the WE International with skins now in primary day one. The WELE and Cru Select were both excellent. Cru Select being almost half the price of the WE. If the WE w/Skins isnt considerably better the Cru Select will be my go to. I am disapionted with my initial SG at 1.094. That may only yield 12.5%. Should I do something to kick it up? What?

I don't calculate my ABV. I take a reading at the start, one to determine transfer time to secondary and no more after that. With the big kits it is around the same give or take 1%. I have only made WE and RJS kits so far as that is whats sold close to me.

cheers

I love Brunello! I am disapionted with my initial SG at 1.094. That may only yield 12.5%. Should I do something to kick it up? What?
Tony,
That wine only has to get to .994 to be 13%. Both of mine have gotten closer to .991. It's not (only) about the alcohol you know!
rolling.gif

My WE Brunello kit w/skins is currently in secondary. I can't wait!

(ETA: It was at .994)

Last edited:
Tony,
That wine only has to get to .994 to be 13%. Both of mine have gotten closer to .991. It's not (only) about the alcohol you know!

I thought you only calculate to dry 1.000 am I calculating wrong.

Back