Crazy press question

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mcorey

Reaction score
I don't have a press but need one. Considering the expense of a basket press, I was thinking of something homemade or using something else.

With that in mind, would it be ok to use a brand new yellow mop bucket? Unless the plastic isn't good, I can't think of a reason why it wouldn't work to press? Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Wine Makings CDs a

There is a post about using fermenting pails. Put one inside the other, with holes drilled on the inside pail for the juice. Be careful about the plastic you use. You want food grade plastic, or you risk undesirable chemicals leaching out.

300 lbs? I would find a press on craigslist or pay someone to use theirs for the weekend. Got a feeling that "janitors" press would be a huge headache after 50 lbs or so.

I don't have a press but need one. Considering the expense of a basket press, I was thinking of something homemade or using something else.

With that in mind, would it be ok to use a brand new yellow mop bucket? Unless the plastic isn't good, I can't think of a reason why it wouldn't work to press? Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Wine Makings CDs a

What part of the world do you live?

I have a nice basket press for $250 in tarrytown ny. I think it's 1 - 2 hrs. Straight down 87. If you're interested I can send you pics.

Latest posts

Back