Cranberry project

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

harlantk

CAUTION TO THE WIND!
Reaction score
Well, I was handed 90 ounces of dried cranberries, ingredients: Cranberries, sugar and sunflower oil. Packed by Ocean Spray cranberries inc.

I searched the forum and came up with an earlier thread http://forum.finevinewines.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=5578
and found Jack Kellers recipe there Thank you Wade.
DRIED CRANBERRY WINE
1 lb dried, unsulfited cranberries
2-1/2 lbs granulated sugar
1 tsp pectic enzyme
1 tsp yeast nutrient
1/8 tsp tannin
1 crushed Campden tablet
water to one gallon
1 pkt Lalvin RC212 (Bourgovin) wine yeast

Chop the cranberries or run them through a mincer. Place in primary and add one quart warm water. Stir in crushed Campden tablet. Cover and set aside 12 hours. Add pectic enzyme, recover primary and set aside another 12 hours. Meanwhile, bring remainder of water to boil and stir in sugar until completely dissolved. Cover sugar and allow to cool to room temperature. When 12-hour pectic enzyme treatment is complete, combine remaining ingredients in primary and add sugar water. Stir well and cover primary. Stir twice daily for 7 days. Strain out cranberries, rack liquid into secondary and fit airlock. Rack every 60 days for 6 months, topping up and refitting airlock each time. Stabilize, sweeten to taste, wait 10-14 days, and rack into bottles. Store in cool, dark place for additional 6 months. [Author's own recipe]

So I think that is what I will attempt.

From reading the archives, slow fermentation, hard starting, make a separate starter, check my pH and TA, adjust and be patient are in order.

BUT! I figured I would post here ahead, and open the door to thoughts and ideas. I will also post progress notes as well, sort of hoping to make this project a form of a joint venture with the forum.

I am concerned though about the Sunflower oil but think it will not be a problem, blanching would likely remove most of it.
I have not chosen a yeast yet, and hopefully have most of the materials on hand now to do any adjustments necessary.

I will try to start in a few days, finishing up the work area, that is taking on a small modification to add brewing to my fun.

I am open to all ideas, blend with cherries, banana, crab apple, mushrooms, honey,.... or adjust for a style of dry wine.

All thoughts will be appreciated, thank you!

Tim

Id probably go with Red Star Champagne yeast as its known as a good strong yeast and can handle the "Problem wines such as cranberry due to it containing benzoate which is a known yeast inhibitor. What would work better though is using a yeast slurry from a just finished fermenting wine like what is done for the Skeeter pee wine. If I were to blend it Id go with the crab apple. As for the sunflower oil, Im not sure, Id say do a good rinse and after that it would pretty much float on top and when ready to rack just carefully rack through leaving the film on top behind. You might want to stir it a few times though during fermentation as it might block air from getting through good if it gets thick.

Thank you wade for your thoughts here and yeah, ok, on the Red Star Champagne yeast.
I was thinking maybe presoak the critters in a alcohol solution after a good rinse, to break up the oil some, rinse again and then soak them, of course watching a film on the top as well. I think there is a way to break this oil and remove it mostly before beginning the long soak, but time will tell. If I pick up a all natural cranberry juice, to top this off according to Keller's recipe I should have enough to do 6 gallon batch. With 5.6 pounds of dried, sticking to the recipe literal, means a .4 pound shortage, not sure it would matter either as I make adjustments this might go to a full 6 gallon volume anyway.
So I will clean and prepare the berries in a day or so and post the results. I will post the TA and pH of the juice.

Tim

Back