Cranberry Lime Skeeter Pee

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Actually I have done 2 versions with the only difference being 2 btls. of lemon and 1 btl. lime or 1 btl. each of lemon and lime. The 2nd btl. of lemon will give it an extra lemon kick if you like.

You could always do 1 and 1 then after you add the cranberry blend taste it. If it's not puckerey enough add another btl. of lemon since it has to rest for the cran. pulp to settle.

You can visit my Blog for the recipe adaption. I think most folks like the 1 and 1 version but I'm still experementing. Both are good.

Impatience getting the best of me...

... I'm at the point of waiting for SP to ferment dry which should be in a few days... Currently, I'm also in the stabilising & fining stage of a winexpert kit. The instructions for the kit say after fermenting dry;
- do not to rack (sediment needed for clearing)
-add sulphite, sorbate, stir, add f-pack, clarifier, stir.
-after 14 days check for clarity then bottle

My questions is, rather than adding the remaining ingredients in stages; (rack, sulfite, sparkolloid, wait to clear, rack, backsweeten and sorbate, wait to clear) has anyone added them all at the same time and waited for clearing just once?

Do you see any potential problems if I were to follow the steps from the wine kit? ...I guess my impatience is getting the best of me ;)

Linda I would say follow the kit directions for the kit, but rack after wine ahs ferm. dry, add sulfite and clear the wine. After 4-6 weeks rack, add sorbate and maybe a pinch of sulfite and age a bit to ensure all yeast have passed on, then backsweeten, wait a few weeks and bottle.

A lot of time is put into these kits. Follow their directions but skeeter pee is different. Once you have done many wines if you want to experiment go for it.

I apologize if my message was confusing, my question wasn't about the wine kit, I've made several, followed the instructions and they came out great.

My question was about about applying the instructions from the wine kit to the skeeter pee...

in part for skeeter pee...
Ferment to dry.

Rack and add 1/4 teaspoon Potassium Metabisulfite.
Appropriate Sparkolloid
Stir briskly to degass and mix ingredients.
Allow 4 weeks to clear.

Rack off sediment and age a short time.

Backsweeten with 4 twelve ounce cans of Old Orchard frozen Cranberry Juice
Gravity @ 1.010
2 1/2 teaspoons of Potassium Sorbate

Bottle in a week or when clear again.
Serve well chilled.

in part from wine kit...
ferment dry
- do not to rack (sediment needed for clearing)
-add sulphite, sorbate, stir, add f-pack, clarifier, stir.
-after 14 days check for clarity then bottle

It just happens that I'm making these two just about side-by-side and after the ferment to dry, the process for the wine kit is quite a bit quicker (2-3 wks) than the process for the SP (5-6 wks), yet they both have similar remaining ingredents...

I am going to use the lees from a merlot juice bucket for a cranberry lime pee.

All I can find around here is Knudsen cranberry concentrate ($9/8 oz) at Whole foods. 8 oz makes a quart of juice when reconstituted. There's nothing else in it but cranberry concentrate.

Anyone want to guestimate how many of these bottles I'd need? I think two.

Too many might be too tart and $$$$

http://www.rwknudsenfamily.com/products/concentrates/cranberry/

I would not do the lime in this. I did a merlot, cab. sauvignon. and a syrah blend of my slurries and made a regular skeeter pee. It turned out absolutely wonderful.

Save the lime for the cran. Lime. See my blog here if you need the recipe. It's very similar to Lon's skeeter pee recipe with a slight alteration.

I would not do the lime in this. I did a merlot, cab. sauvignon. and a syrah blend of my slurries and made a regular skeeter pee. It turned out absolutely wonderful.

Save the lime for the cran. Lime. See my blog here if you need the recipe. It's very similar to Lon's skeeter pee recipe with a slight alteration.

Flavored this merlot/cran/lime pee tonite. Used 3 knudsen concentrates and 6 cups of invert sugar. It came out great. The concentrate took it from pink to deep purple. Amazing stuff. It'll be great with thanksgiving. I'll bottle in a few weeks.

I believe I back sweetened it to 1.010 and serve it well chilled.

To balance the tartness of the cran concentrate I had to bump it up to 1.030. It will be great chilled. It did cloud up upon back sweetening so hopefully it will re-clear.

Latest posts

Back