• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Wine Making Talk and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Craigslist

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rakowitzc012

Junior
Reaction score
I lucked out this week, after searching Craigslist for a good fine on carboys. I finally put out a wanted add for them, within 12 hrs, I had a old beer/wine maker wanting to get rid of 7 5gallon carboys for $20 a pop, and threw in a bottle handle and 2 of his old beers in for free.

Just goes to show you that you also need to put out there what you're looking for, not just want to search.

I wonder where you live. $20 is the low rate for a 5-gallon down here in the South where I live but is not considered a deal up North.

I just looked at a CL deal for eight 6-gallon carboys at $30 each and turned it down as too high. But somebody down here did buy 'em.

Wait til somebody crows about a score up North and you'll see what cheap wine equipment is really all about. :h

Well I am from San Antonio Tx, brand new I could pay $30 but most Craigslist posts are from $25 $40.

Well I am from San Antonio Tx, brand new I could pay $30 but most Craigslist posts are from $25 $40.

Yep, I understand and up North they get 'em lots of times for $10-15. It all depends on where ya live. I turned down the 6-gallon ones cuz every so often they come up new for that with free shipping. Been awhile, but it does happen.

Yep, I understand and up North they get 'em lots of times for $10-15. It all depends on where ya live. I turned down the 6-gallon ones cuz every so often they come up new for that with free shipping. Been awhile, but it does happen.

I can buy them over the internet and pay shipping, and get a better price than I can from the local HBS's.

20$ is not a bad price, IMO.

It's not bad but it's not smokin' good either. Like I said, going rate down here.

Guess I'm just jaded by all the "I just got 6 carboys for $40" posts. Never see one of those from down this way. :ib

Plus I do have to admit that once I got 7 or 8 of them, the urge to buy more slacked off - unless it is a really smokin' deal.

Like rakowitz said, it's easy to find high-dollar ones here. See?

http://huntsville.craigslist.org/hsh/3859870442.html

UNDER EDIT: Hey, I will offer this up, though. Best time to look is first 2-3 weeks in January, after the New Years resolution to quit drinking has been made but before it has worn off!

Last edited:
Jim is right. I bought 16 carboys for $100 and turned around and reposted them for 3/$50 and sold them all in two days. Brand new carboys are about $33 for 6 gallon.

Well to top it off, my neighbor used to also make wine, he said he didn't need his 3 carboys and that he will just give them to me for free. That drops me down to $14 per carboy for all ten

The deals seem to be all over the place. This weekend I picked up a CL find of various carboys. They are 3 gal to 7gal (? Older with the ring on the neck specific for the ring style handle) and additionally 8 cases of 750ml bottles, 3 cases of 375ml bottles, corks, seals, corker, jet/filter pump, handles, stoppers, airlocks, funnel, and more. Cost me $300 for the lot and it was exactly the equipment I wanted/needed since I had a crusher, press, floor corker, etc.

Now to tend to the vineyard more and make some wine!

Back