Crabapple preparation

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aaronh

Reaction score
I am going to be making crabapple wine this fall and looking for the best way to prepare the apples. Being that there fairly small fruit, coring them would be a painstaking adventure.
<DIV id=ms__id50>
<DIV id=ms__id49> I'm thinking possibly freezing them in hopes the ice crystals will expand and soften them up when they thaw. Also this should make them less likely to brown as well. One problem that comes to mind is that I may need a press to get the juice out in a timely manner. I have heard of the old timers using pillow cases and squeezing the juice that way but when i think of pillow cases i think of lint and other particles.
<DIV id=ms__id47>
<DIV id=ms__id48> Whats you're experience on this?

If I remember correct from when I was a kid and lived where apples grew the use of pillow cases was still associated with a press. My Grandfather would put the cut up apples in a pillow case or wrapped in cloth and then press. The cloth acted as a sort of filter to keep the large chunks of solids out of the juice. I don't know if you could steam juice apples or not.

I use a steam juicer on the Crabapples...

I just throw them in whole and steam away.....they juice up really nice.

I froze mine last year and then thawed them and destemmed them as its really easy to pull the whole stem out once dethawed. I cut them in 1/2 and put them in a fermenting bag and placed them in the primary bucket with Ascorbic acid to prevent browning. I recommend using the Ascorbic acid. This batch came out really nice, I just squeezed lightly every other day and then when pulling the fruit sock out.

Steaming is great. You can also cut, freeze and use them that way. We've never worried about squeezing them. We've used some ascorbic acid to control colors in the past. I've quit worrying about the color and just enjoying the final color.
smiley5.gif

Well after seeing Wade's video were he uses the steam juicer for his blackberry wine and all the good Ive heard about it, I'm gonna shell out the 100+ for one. I believe ill get allot of use out of it and it will pay its self off in the long run.
<DIV id=ms__id14>
<DIV id=ms__id15> The funny thing is though, there are a lot of berry canners around here but none have a steam juicer. Some have never even heard of one. Must be the stubborn finlanders and are hard pressed ways.
smiley22.gif
I was hoping to barrow one for a few dollars or buy a used one but looks like I'm gonna have to shoot for a brand new one.
<DIV id=ms__id17>
<DIV id=ms__id16> Thanks for all the good input, I'm really liken allthe possibility's
smiley32.gif
<DIV id=ms__id19>
<DIV id=ms__id18>On a side note I am kind of excited because there are a couple folks from 2 New Zealand wineries that are bringing couple cases of wine for us tosample at are hotel Friday. My boss mentioned my wine and they want to taste the lilac wine I have so far
smiley29.gif
. Should be intersting.....

Now that I think of it. I am waiting on my order of potassium sorbate which should be here tomorrow or the next day. But when that arrives i am going to Degas and illhave to take some wine out because i topped it off with water to fill the unwanted space.
<DIV id=ms__id78>
<DIV id=ms__id79> The question I have is... I dint want anymore water in there. I already added a cup and some marbles to get it at neck lvl in the carboy. I do have the original , "tea, no nutrients , exedera , just K meta", that I made and froze it in a Gatorade bottle encase i had a stuck fermentation. Can I top it off with that or will Ibring back some cloudinessthat way. Otherwise I'm thinking of trying some whites , maybe Chardonnay to top it off with after degassing. Im guessing ill have to remove about 5-10 ounces. As you can see to teh avitar picture on the left its clearing verey well on its own.
smiley4.gif
Edited by: Aaronh

Aaronh.....Be the first in your neighborhood to have one....
Years ago a friend sent over some raspberry punch...I asked how she made it and bought a juicer right away....Since then so many of my friends who sees it buys one.....Have many friends with on now.....Here is one on eBay....

The photos shows the bottom pan inside the top....for shipping and packaging....So, it doesn't look right. It is a smaller one....

http://cgi.ebay.com/Fresh-Fruit-Steam-Juicer-Stainless-Steel-Strainer-NICE_W0QQitemZ150282169687QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item150282169687&amp;_trkparms=72%3A570%7C39%3A1%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C240%3A1318&amp;_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&amp;timeout=1218632967765

Here is the search for steam juicers on eBay...

http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&amp;_trksid=m38&amp;_nkw=steam+juicer&amp;_sacat=See-All-Categories

Or...just Google STEAM JUICER.....

[ame="http://www.google.com/search?q=steam+juicer&amp;ie=utf-8&amp;oe=utf-8&amp;aq=t&amp;rls=org.mozilla:en-US:eek:fficial&amp;client=firefox-a"]http://www.google.com/search?q=steam+juicer&amp;ie=utf-8&amp;oe=utf-8&amp;aq=t&amp;rls=org.mozilla:en-US:eek:fficial&amp;client=firefox-a[/ame]

Edited by: Northern Winos

Last edited by a moderator:
The stainless steel versions are more expensive but they are extremely durable. If I recall correctly, I got my Mehu Liisa for about $150 after a lot of searching on the web. It is excellent.

Latest posts

Back