covering primary fermenter with airlock or not?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mplaa

Junior
Reaction score
Newbie just started my first batch tonight. have a Vitner's Best kit and making a cab. covered the primary with the plastic lid and airlock that came with the kit. but then was reading online that some say to leave the primary uncovered (or with a light towel instead).

any thoughts are appreciated.

thanks
m

Covering with a cloth is the best for yeast as they need lots of 02 to do their job. With that said, when doing these smaller batches in a 8 gallon bucket and stirring at least every other day is enough 02 to keep these yeast quite happy as Ive been using this method for many years now with absolutely no problems. The reason I use the lid down with airlock on is I have a cat that will get into the bucket if I dont. If you have no animals or children to worry about then by all means unsnap that lid and leave it loose with airlock off and just a cloth covering it or take the whole lid right off and cover the whole bucket with the cloth but Id use some kind of rope or elastic to keep bugs out.

What Wade said. I just set my lid on the bucket now, no airlock, cover the hole with the kit instructions. This makes it easy to peek in every day and see how the yeasties are getting on. Once the vigorous bubbling and hissing slows from a run to a walk, then your SG will be in the 1.00x range (check it of course) and then it's time for the carboy and airlock.

Like Wade said.
I never snap the lid with a airlock for the primary. Wine needs more O2 in the primary. When the wine gets to 1.010 I rack and then under airlock.
When making fruit wines it ferments faster and will help if you lay the lid on top as its easier when you need to "punch" down the cap.

thanks to everyone for the input. i unsnapped the lid and just set it on top of the bucket this evening. will stir every other day or so and keep and eye on it.

thanks!

Latest posts

Back