Course of Action

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JimCook

Reaction score
You know, it's already the third full week of 2010 and I haven't seen any 'yearly goal' kind of posts. To that end, during the course of 2010 I plan to improve my winemaking skills by blending more of my wines (also to try grape w/ non-grape) and learning more about the specific chemical components that make up wine. I plan to improve my wine appreciation skills by hosting at least six blind wine tasting events at my home, learning about the different European terroirs through books and tastings, and by experiencing wines of at least two different countries in their native environments.

What are the rest of you setting your sights on for wine in 2010?

- Jim

Wow, that is a really ambitious list you have Jim. It would be great to live near you!

Let's see if I can come up with something. Mine involves the vineyard and wine.
1. Get the yearly pruning done.
2. Put up the two acres of trellis posts and wires and train the young vines to them.
3.Grow out a hopefully decent crop of grapes of about 800-1000 gallons.
4. Finish off the winery building- which I have just started remodeling- about 1800 square feet to start with.
5. Get licensed as a Farm Winery
6. Begin winemaking using the new license.
7. Depending on grants- either take care of the Willsboro Vineyard or not.
8. Continue with my study of training systems and canopy management.

There that is oversimplified, but I think it will keep me busy when I'm not working the day job!

For me it's semi wine related...
Finish business plan for a vineyard.
Find funding and premises.
Start construction of the vineyard.

Good post Jim,

Ummlets see......
Make more wine
Drink more wine
Wear glasses when I need them.

I like to keep my goals low
smiley4.gif

Scott said:
Good post Jim,

Ummlets see......
Make more wine
Drink more wine
Wear glasses when I need them.

I like to keep my goals low
smiley4.gif

I can relate to wearing glasses when needed. I wear them all the time. The other night we had a grower's association meeting. I had brought my tri-focals so I could see everything clearly, but when I am looking at things 3-5 feet away, a different pair of glasses works better. After the meeting we had to sample some wines, but since I had to drive home I only had a small sip of each so I was fine to drive. Getting ready to leave, I switched glasses back to the tri-focals for driving. One of the guys asked why I did that and I told him they were my drinking and driving glasses so that they help bring the road back into focus.
smiley36.gif
Boy did I get a strange look from him.
smiley5.gif

In no particular order....

Live like there is no tomorrow.

Sing like nobody's listening.

Work like you don't need money.

Love like you've never been hurt.

Dance like no one's watching.
smiley14.gif

And probably stop to enjoy the wine a bit more!

get up every morning read the obituarys if I am not listed in them then make more wine

I still find each day too short for all the thoughts I
want to think, all the walks I want to take, all the books I want to
read, and all the friends I want to see.</span>

<a href="http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/quotes/j/johnburrou101053.html" target="_blank">John
Burroughs</a>
</span>

[/QUOTE]

One of the guys asked why I did that and I told him they were my drinking and driving glasses so that they help bring the road back into focus.
smiley36.gif
Boy did I get a strange look from him.
smiley5.gif
[/QUOTE]

Drinking and driving glasses, good one!

I haven'tneeded them,buthave wornbeer goggles
smiley2.gif

Anybody else have any wine-specific goals for 2010?

(The first blind wine tasting of the year happens this Saturday.)

- Jim

My goal is to make a sparkling wine this year. I've already made a mead that I'll be force carbing but it will not be ready for a while. I plan on using an OB Banana Pineapple Viognier or the Mango Mint Chenin Blanc. My game plan is to force carb half and add a bottle of rum to the other half and bottle as normal. I am leaning more towards the Banana Pineapple, but am open to suggestions!

Just finished bottling a plum, cranberry/apple, sweet cherry and blackberry--a pear is clearing. Up next, a Cellar Craft Rosso Fortissimo and another Amarone.

I would have to sayI am honestly happy with who &amp; what i am and what I am currently doing. The only thing I might possibly change is that if I were to happen to hit the Powerball I would probably order me up one of the LaBodega Port kits from George.

Unfortunately making grappa involves using a still - something we can't discuss here because it is illegal to possess one or use it...............

I want to try a full batch of Cab Sauv (60 Litres) using the delestage method and see if it starts out less harsh. I just need to get a proper pump to accomplish that.

Non wine related goals are to come in the top 5 of every motorcycle racing class that I enter. I've already started my fitness routine for the upcoming season that starts in May of this year. I'm also training down in Thunderhill Raceway, just outside of Willows, California in mid-march to give everything a shakedown.

Ihope to hone my winemaking skills. I am just starting to feel like I have a clue, and would like to get to the point that I think I know something.....
smiley36.gif

I want to finally make the kit I have sitting in it's box, and to make fruit wine from the bountiful supplies I have established this winter. I have developed great sources for strawberries and pears, and also hope to make watermelon wine.

i guess mine would be to become profitable.....to become a more multi- able wine-maker...for example, i have never made a sparkling wine as someone above mentioned...juts little things here and there....like Waldo, i am thankful and happy to be wherever i am right now....its all an interesting journey to me...another thing i would hope is that i would continue to learn from you all and so many others as well and as time passes onward

Yes I do have some wine specific goals of '10!
- add racks for 250 morebottles(decided to age reds two yrs min)
- add LED lighting to the deeper racks ( they are all double deep) so I can see what the heck is back there.
- sort all the finished wine and organize it(done)
- bottle the bulk aged 2008 andearly 2009 wines plugging up our project room (tomorrow andFriday)
- plan out the wine making schedule for '10 in addtion to the kits Geo is sending our way now - LEs
- find a CC Super Tuscan as close as possible to the CC LE of 2008 and get that in the schedule.
- hide at least one case of the reds we bottle so far back in the cellar I won'tfind them for at least two yrs.That seemed to work just fine on the '07s I justfound....
-be ready for sailingand fishing season so we get more time for those activities. Boats inno later than June 1 and timededicated to using them.That includes having boat wines ready for cruising and shore lunches.
- Hummm that list looks like New Years resolutions!!!

Back