Couple questions on StarSan bubbles and flooded airlocks

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vertumnus

Reaction score
Hey all, just racked my first batch of Skeeter Pee from the bucket into a carboy (two actually, the 5gal and the 1gal) in the early morning 05/09/14. I topped up both to within about an inch or so of the top but there are still some bubbles left over from the star san sitting at the top. Will this affect my wine at all?

My second question is somewhat related. On the 5gal carboy, the newly fitted airlock seems to keep getting flooded with must despite there still being that gap. I'm guessing that maybe those leftover bubbles are being pushed through into the airlock. Will this simply cease after a couple days when things settle down or is there a more pro-active solution to it?

I wouldn't worry about the star San affecting the flavor at all. The bubbles should settle in a day or two

Sounds like you are still activily fermenting. What is your s.g.? If it is still filling the airlock, take a little more of the wine out of the carboy, get it down low enough so it doesn't get into the airlock. You can put the e xtra in the refrig. and put it back in later. Good luck with it, Arne.

It's stopped doing that a couple days ago, and I just measured the SG a few hours ago at 1.000, but I notice that that has occurred or the airlocks pop off when I first rack into carboys. Perhaps I am racking too early and not allowing the main fermentation to conclude

It's stopped doing that a couple days ago, and I just measured the SG a few hours ago at 1.000, but I notice that that has occurred or the airlocks pop off when I first rack into carboys. Perhaps I am racking too early and not allowing the main fermentation to conclude

Na, you are doiing it correctly, just filling too full. Give yourself some room, 3" or so and top off after everything slows way down.

Latest posts

Back