Couple Q's for my first batch of SP

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Putterrr

Reaction score
New to Skeeter Pee but not to wine/beer/other brewing.

Do you need to stir in oxygen even if it is foaming nicely?

At what SG do you transfer to the secondary?

Wish I could say I followed the Original Sp recipe but due to circumstances I made a few modifications.

Used the 6 gal recipe or 23L for us Canuks.
Added what was called for except only one 33 OZ bottle of lemon juice at the start as I had not made it to Costco in time.
Added the slurry from a Rossa Grande Cellar Classic Winery Series, Mar 8th around 3PM, SG 1.068, Temp a bit low at 68 so put on my heat belt
This moring the batch was foaming nicely at 73 degrees. Added the missing lemon juice in 2 stages.
Checked the SG today at around 7 pm and it had already shot through the 1.050 level to 1.040.
Added the rest of the lemon juice, nutrient, and energizer and gave it a vigorous stir.

Will have some other back sweetening / flavouring questions but will read a few more threads first.

Thx Lon, Just what I needed! Another was to make alcohol :slp

Sounds like you're in good shape. If things are progressing nicely, you don't usually have to stir. On my batches, I usually check on it once a day and I DO give it a stir when I'm there. I just leave the spoon and hydrometer in the primary. If nothing, the stir will give it a little bit of O2 and maybe it'll finish a little sooner. It'll also drive off some CO2. Cheers and good luck. If you haven't read the FAQ's on the skeeterpee(dot)com website, there's lots of info there that is helpful.

Back