Couple of Bottle Sanitizing Questions

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

analog_kidd

Reaction score
When spraying K-meta inside bottle just prior to bottling, do you let them sit upside down for a few hours to dry out, or is is OK to bottle the wine in a damp bottle?

Also, I've been collecting bottles, delabeling and cleaning them in Oxyclean. I do them in batches as I get them, then place them upside down in cardboard wine boxes with the flaps folded over to keep the dust out. Do you think it is OK to just remove them from the box, sanitize and bottle, or do I need to give each bottle a quick rinse first?

I use my bottles immediately after sanitizing. I also clean my bottles ahead of time and place them upside down in the cases after they are drained. I just remove them and sanitize before bottling.

Yeah AK, you may be wasting a sanitizing step the way you are doing it. When you get the bottles, delabel and clean them with Oxyclean and rinse well. Inverting them in a box is a good idea. That is what I do up to this point. When I am ready to bottle, I quick rinse them with hot water, spray them on the Vinator and then hang them on a rack to drain. I do not wait until they dry. A little K-meta in the bottle is a good thing.

Thanks, everyone. That's what I was hoping to hear. I don't have one of those bottle trees that make it easy to dry out dozens at a time.

I was thinking of getting one of those spray gadgets that injects a mist of k-meta into the bottle. Looks like that would help save some time when bottling.

Rocky, I'm hoping my first post was just unclear. I asked my two questions out of order from the steps I would actually take. My process so far has been to get bottles, soak in Oxy, delabel, rinse well and place back in the box, upside down. I don't use k-meta at this point. I was only planning on the k-meta as I remove the bottles from the box to bottle my wine. Does that sound right to you?

Thanks again!

AK, that sounds right. If you have any home tools and like to work with wood, I made a bottle rack with a 1 x 6 board and some dowels that I had. I just drilled two rows of holes along the length of the board on my drill press, cut the dowel material to about 4" and glued them into the holes. I attached this to a table that I have right next to my sink. When I grab a box of cleaned and de-labeled bottles, I quick rinse them with hot water, pump them three or four times on the Vinator and place them on this rack. It holds 26 bottles, about a carboy work. I ususally need a couple more and just grab them toward the end of the process. I am sure you will find a method that works for you.

I have taken a plastic storage bin, leaned at about a 45 degree angle, place the bottles neck side down as I clean them. Making sure it is completely filled, I then set the bin down flat so that the bottles are upright, neck down. Works for me. I guess I could drill holes in the bin.

I may be getting a bunch of milk carton like containers that is sold in office supply stores for this.

You can also hit up your wine or liquor store to save the cardboard boxes for you. That's what I use. They last a long time, even when used for wet bottles. Free, too.

dishwasher bottom racks work quite well if you don't want to get a bottle tree. Friend just got rid of his dishwasher and we ripped out the top shelf to use as an improvised bottle rack. Works quite well

I've been using empty boxes from my local wine store. They are quite nice there and put out all the empties on the sidewalk for anyone who wants them to take.

A buddy of mine took a small sheet of plywood and drilled several 1-1/2" holes in it, then set that up on sawhorses and puts the neck of the bottle into the hole to dry.

Back