Country wines from canned fruit / dessert toppings?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brottman

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I recently did a red raspberry from fresh fruit, but was wondering what kind of outcomes one might get using either canned fruit or even the canned dessert toppings (I'm guessing I wouldn't even have to add sugar with those!). I've checked the ingredients on both and none seem to have preservatives. If the price is good, one either the canned fruit or canned dessert toppings make an okay wine?

I'm thinking of doing a peach or a pear, or both!

And try a canned fig wine if they have them, see if you can find the Oregon brand, they work very well and dont forget some pectinase. WVMJ

Not embarrassed to admit that I have made some quite pleasant wines from jams (either all jam wine or have added jam because I was not able to obtain enough juice from the fruit I had)... You do have to watch, though. Some jams seem to contain ingredients that are not listed (unfermenatble sugars? ) that seem to stall the fermentation.

The reality, and fun of country wine making is you can make wine out of almost anything. The most amazing thing is no matter how poorly it turns out is you can find someone who likes it. I once made wine from black eyed peas. It sucked, but it all got drank. Got an idea, Roll with it.

I have tried with canned fruit salad. Result was very hard to clarify (maybe due to peach content?). At best I could describe it as drinkable. Not doing it again.

I to have made wines with jellies, jams, canned cranberry sauce, canned fruit and even canned sweet potatoes and pumpkin.
Mostly with good results.
Clearing is always a problem with this though. Must add lots of pectic enzyme. And patience.

Beano Joe

Ive been making apple and raspberry wine for a few years now, from just juice type cartons from the local supermarket, its really easy, although not very high flying compared to what some others are making here :-

2 litres of apple and raspberry juice (from the supermarket)
1 kg sugar
general purpose wine yeast.

it turns out 14 -15 % and goes down very well, that's for a uk imperial gallon brew.

ive made peach, apricot and manderin wine many years ago from tinned fruit, all of which turned out quite nice, ive never tried canned dessert topping, ive also made wine from juice cartons usually with an apple base and added a few mls (2-3 mls) of cake flavouring eg strawberry per gallon, which worked surprisingly well too.

Last edited:
Canned whole cranberries make a very good wine. They'll be a little flat in the acid, but that is easily fixed. The sauce has some sugar, but it needs more. And using a cran-apple juice helps.

I've done a canned plum wine - doesn't taste much like plum, but it is very drinkable.

Latest posts

Back